40

~40~

~40~

            When I woke up, I was surprised to find myself cuddling with Colby on the couch. The sun shone through the window behind us, forcing my eyes to pry open, and when they did I realized my body sprawled against his chest, his hands wrapped protectively around my waist and my legs bent around his hips. My lips curled into a smile, and I shut my eyes again, not wanting to completely make my presence known just yet.

But only 10 minutes later did I feel the headache from last night return, only stronger and much more annoying. I couldn't help but stir and unintentionally wake Colby up.

His eyelids fluttered open slowly and he looked down at me with his tired blue eyes and smiled faintly, "Morning Darling."

I smiled too, butterflies humming throughout my stomach. I yawned, burying my face into his chest so he doesn't see an ugly yawn face. He chuckled and stroked my hair, "It's early, why are you awake already?" He asked, and I took a moment to admire his morning voice. It was soft, raspy, guttural. But very appealing, almost like the music you never want to press pause on.

"Headache, I think it's killing brain cells as we speak."

I'm not sure if my voice sounds different in the morning. I guess everyone does get a little deeper, but we don't hear it ourselves. No one can hear their true voice unless using some sort of professional recording. I wonder how he hears my voice, and if it's good?

"Well, how about we get you some Advil and breakfast. I'm pretty sure we just got doughnuts from this bakery nearby, supposedly really good." He said, sitting up a bit as if preparing to get up.

I hum against the offer, "I ate too much brownie last night, I don't think my stomach could handle another sweet." I chuckle. I also scooted up a little so I laid higher against him, "Plus.. I'd rather lay here with you." I mumble shyly, feeling embarrassed by my words. I probably shouldn't, but I was.

"Oh?" He uttered, a hint of surprise in his words. I nod sheepishly, letting my head rest on his chest again, my ear and cheeks pressed down against it. I could hear his heartbeat, rhythmically beating at a slow pace. But I was sure it speed up when I admitted I wanted to lay here a bit longer.

Our mornings together were rather quick, can you blame me for wanting to lay with him a little? Especially after last night, which I am trying hard not to think about, mainly because I refuse to deal with that embarrassment just yet. I just wanted to stay here, hugging Colby on the couch without any other worry. We both deserved this, this moment of peace.

"We can stay here if you like. But are you sure you don't want an Advil? Last night was a little rough." His voice still carried such a heavy feeling of sleepiness, and that made me wonder about the time.

I shook my head, "No." I murmured, shutting my eyes for a second while I took a deep breath and then opening them when I let it out, "Let's just... lay here. Procrastinate the day a little?" I sort of suggest.