25

~25~

~25~

            "I'm not sure that's how you blow up the flamingo," I say to Jake, watching him stick his lips near the behind of the flamingo and blowing hard, his cheeks turning red. They released from the pink rubber and smiled at me, laughing at himself.

He flipped the rubber pool floaty around and found the actual rubber hole where he began to actually blow through and inflate the flamingo. Its crumbling state slowly getting larger and clearer.

"You know, I think there's a faster way of doing that," I tell him, walking towards the shed he was near and opening it, searching around for a pump to speed up the process. I spot it, but it was dusty and looked old.

"That old thing hasn't seen the light of day in ages." Jake laughed through his teeth, still trying to blow up the floaty. "It's broken."

I struggle to pull it out but eventually end up with it sitting on the concrete ground, staring at it intensely. "How's it broke?"

He shrugged, "Doesn't turn on."

I hummed and tapped my foot, figuring out what could be the problem. Bending down, I inspect the wires and cords, seeing if anything was detached or broken but finding nothing until I see the cord that would plug into the wall broken with wires sticking from the dark green protective plastic.

I smile at it, knowing what I had to do.

I stood back up and slipped inside, finding tape in the drawer, and then returning to the machine and taking a seat next to it. I used a nearby stick to carefully reattach the wires and carefully place them back inside the cord. Then, I wrapped tape around it to secure they won't fall back out. It took a steady hand but I eventually did it.

I plugged the cord into a nearby outline and listened as the machine began to vibrate and let out a mechanical shrill. The sound scared jake because of how close he was to it and the noise was pretty unbearable if it was right next to your ear. But after a few seconds, it evened out and was only a small shrill that serenaded our ears.

"There." I smile brightly at it.

"When the hell did you become a mechanic." Jake gawked at the machine and then at me. His face was enough to make me laugh.

I shrugged, "My guardian had an old truck. I know my way around wires and shit." I explain in simple words. Even though anyone could have seen that the cord was the thing that was broken. It was an easy find in my opinion.

Maurice appeared from behind me and began to laugh at the sight of the working engine, "Well, isn't that a sight to see." He cracked up.

I laugh and nod, "Jake's shocked face? Yeah, it's pretty funny isn't it." I tease him. He frowned and mumbled a few profanities to himself, plugging the pump into the flamingo and grumbled as it began to quickly fill with air.