52

~52~

~52~

It was dark. Too dark. My immediate reaction to this wasn't to panic, or even scream or search for a way out, like I usually would, because I didn't even know where I was. It was... unrecognizable. I had never been to a place like this, a place so empty and gone of life. What life? There was nothing here. Like a room with no walls, no end.

I walked for a little bit, hugging myself to protect myself from the cold that came from no source. I was wearing a sweatshirt and leggings, mismatched fuzzy socks on my feet. I should I be cold and yet an icy chill was the only thing I felt in a physical sense. There was no sound, nothing to see, nothing to feel. It truly was like I was nowhere.

I'm pretty sure I tried calling out at one point, asking if there was anyone around. My voice bounced off the invisible walls, ringing back into my ears 3 times before fading. I forgot I was walking, a sense of calmness overtaking me completely. I wasn't confused, or scared, or angry, or happy. Just empty.

Was the emptiness contagious? Was it this place that was making me feel this way?

It was too quiet. Something in me told me to speak, to fill the bottomless void and give me some ground. To bring life back into myself.

I muttered a few words, "Hmm, I am here, uh, here."

Where even was here.

"Am I asleep?" I added a jingle, "Or.. dead?" It wasn't a very nice jingle, "No, not dead. Alive I think. Hopefully. Uh, twinkle twinkle-"

"No, I don't like that song!" I voice echoed from behind me, my head whipping around to meet the small voice. Nothing. No one was there, nothing.

"Hello?" A small whisper. I waited for an answer, something. Nothing.

"Choose a different song!" The same voice bellowed.

I faced forward to meet the eyes of a small child, a familiar one. Skin scruffy, dirt on his knees, cheeks a little rosy. His black hair sprung in curls over his face, covering his eyebrows completely. He was wearing pajamas, well, a long shirt and barely visible shorts. A piglet toy dangling from his small hands.

I stared at him, my brother, looking no older than the last time I saw him.

Questions built up inside me. Questions that wouldn't make themselves knows in words.

"W-What song do you want to hear?" A small stutter, not much made up my voice. I didn't question how he was here, I just listened.

We were now in our old room; suddenly. Still as small and freaky as I had left it. I wasn't phased by this sudden change, the change that had no beginning or end. I was focused on Cliff looking up at me with sad, remorseful eyes. Such sad eyes. Did my eyes match his? We're mine as empty of light as his were? I touched my cheek trying to feel something other than guilt.