XIX - JUST SOMEONE IN THE ENTERTAINMENT INDUSTRY

Seeing the truly towering bonfire in the middle of this secluded side of the beach that Perrie drags me into, I now know why the last remaining streetlights lining the pathway weren't switched on. The light that it emanates could potentially light up the whole world if one could exaggerate.

I have never seen a bonfire before, but this was probably taller than I had imagined. Probably six feet or higher, the scorching flames seemed to be reaching towards the sky. Several people were encompassing the source of light when Perrie and I walked in. It didn't take long for me to come to the realization that they were hauling stuffs at it as we pass by.

Some were throwing their wallets, some were throwing pictures - or at least that's what I can deduce from the ripped pieces that they were holding. Some were even throwing clothes.

"What were they doing?" I ask the woman beside me as we plow through the sand with our bare feet, our sandals safely kept in our hands. "Is this some sort of ritual or something?"

Perrie bursts into giggles for a second before replying, "I guess you can call it that."

I waited for Perrie to further elaborate, but all she did was smile innocently at me as if there's no need to explain, and lead me further into the crowd.

As we plow on, I check out the surroundings. There was a small bar station at the far end near the shoreline, a circular stage beside it with people literally sliding their bodies against each other to the clamorous beats of the music as we pass by, and Leigh was one of them when we saw her.

"Leigh!" Perrie calls out to her.

The curly headed woman whips her head and beams at the sight of us before she jumps down from the platform and make her way toward us.

"Hey, Pez!" Leigh wraps an arm around the blonde, pulling her close in a tight embrace.

"Hey, who's the guy, hmm?" Perrie asks teasingly, discreetly gesturing towards the dude awhile ago.

I pursed my lips, trying to stifle my laughter when the dude in question kept glancing over at us, or more specifically, at Leigh.

Leigh rolls her eyes and shakes her head. "Nobody, of course. I have a boyfriend, you know. Anyway, Jade, nice to see you again."

I smile at her. "Nice to see you, too."

"How many days you stayin' here?"

"Two months, actually," I answer her.

"Just two months?" Perrie chimes in.

When I faced her, she was wearing a weird expression on her face. I chalk it up to mere curiosity, but the way she sounded incredulous makes me think there's more to it than meets the eye.

I let it go, though. "Mhmm."

She didn't reply after that.

"So," Leigh starts, "What's the verdict, Jade? You planning on staying for another month, hmm?"

I open my mouth to reply, but Perrie beats me to it. "Jade Thirlwall's a busy body, Leigh. I doubt she'll extend her vacation."

What the hell is her problem?

"Actually," I interject, slightly glaring at the blonde. "If my job isn't too demanding anymore, I might even move in here. It's peaceful."

"And what is your job?" Leigh tilts her head.

"Just someone in the entertainment industry," I say casually like it's no big deal. When I take a gander at Perrie, she's just gazing at me. Her facial expression is unreadable, but she's chewing on the inside of her cheek.