XXV - COME BACK HOME

I plopped down on the bed tonight with a wide smile plastered on my face, reliving awhile ago.

My mind wandered to how soft Perrie's lips were, how the kiss felt too much but not enough at the same time. I won't be surprised if I feel butterflies fluttering in my stomach. It's been a while since I've had this giddy feeling whenever I thought about a person, and I missed it so much.

And I would literally stay here in bed thinking about the one person who can make me feel this way . . . if it wasn't for my phone relentlessly blaring beside me.

With a heavy sigh because I know it's Jesy, I picked up the phone. "Jes, if you're calling to check up on me, I am fine. I didn't answer your calls because I was tired but don't worry. A lot has happened with Perrie actually. Oh my God — speaking of Perrie, I told her I like her."

"Who's Perrie?"

My blood ran cold when I heard that familiar husky voice that I know belonged to one person and one person only. I inhaled sharply, looking back at the screen of my phone, my cheeks flushed profusely when I saw Steve's name in display. Suddenly, my mood turned upside down. Tonight of all nights, seriously?

I sighed deeply and placed the phone back in my ear. "Steve?"

He cleared his throat, then replied stiltedly, "Hey, Jade."

"Why are you calling?"

"Just wanted to check in on you," he replied rather vaguely. "So, Perrie, hmm?"

"Oh, she's just, uhm," I stalled, planting a palm on my forehead as if it's the only way to think straight. "Just —"

"Just someone you like?" He filled in, chuckling afterwards.

There was no malice in his tone, no sarcasm or whatsoever kind of tone that implied his jealousy if he ever was feeling it right now. And I know I shouldn't feel guilty about it, but him still being that marvelous man he always was even after everything that happened between us still gnawed at my insides.

Taking a glance at the clock, it's almost nine now. I heaved a heavy sigh before finally speaking on the phone.

"Steve, listen," I started. Might as well tell this to him right now than wait for a month with the thought of him hopelessly waiting for me, I figured. "We never had the chance to talk about that night, but —"

"Jade, I know I don't stand a chance," he interrupted, chuckling lowly. With a heavy sigh, he spoke up again, "I know that — that whatever happened that night, it meant nothing to you. And believe it or not, I'm okay with that."

I stayed silent, not knowing what to say. Is Steve really okay with it? Is he really alright with the fact that I don't see him that way? The last time we talked on the phone, he sounded devastated and so heartbroken, I almost wanted to hang up the phone because I never wanted to hear him like that anymore. He used to be an exuberant man, and I could never forgive myself for destroying that personality.

"Well," I said, somewhat thankful I didn't have to spell it out for him, "I guess that's settled, then. So, why did you call?"

"Because your fans miss you, of course," he said it as if it was obvious. "Jesy told me you're on vacation."

I raised an eyebrow. "She didn't tell you where I am?"

"Scared that I'll follow you and drag you back myself?"

Hearing his usual challenging tone that I missed, I almost grinned — but I wondered for a moment if there was an underlying tone in there somewhere, though I didn't entertain that thought.