X - YOUR FLIRTING SKILLS SUCK

Jesy Nelson, my best friend and manager, can be the world's most caring woman. She can be thoughtful, what with having the maternal instict to make sure that I am alright; she can be assertive, strong, and a million other thoughts raced to my mind when I think of her.

But right now, when I hear her aggravating laugh, one particular thought stayed glued in my mind:

Jesy Nelson is so annoying.

I groaned, "Stop that. Stop laughing."

"I can't, sweetie." I rolled my eyes when she snorted. "You just ... Jesus, Amelia, you act like a kid."

Despite the fact that Miami is approximately a hundred degress, the sea breeze that flutters against my face is cool and refreshing; it ripples through my thin navy blue blouse, permeating the piece of clothing and inducing goosebumps on my chest and stomach. My denim short shorts were thankfully enough to protect almost half of my thighs, but it wasn't enough; the ones exposed had to deal with the coldness as I walk out onto the sand from the restaurant.

I head farther along the beach. The sand turns pillow soft beneath my feet as I plow through it, walking ahead with no destination set in mind.

Perrie was still working by the time I left the restaurant. I wasn't able to say goodbye to her, actually. Although, she wasn't bustling, I made sure to get out of the scene once she gets inside the kitchen. For some reason I could not explain, I had the urge to leave in an instant.

After Perrie's ... well, interesting revelation a few minutes ago, I thought that I needed some time to figure things out. And by figure things out, I meant stealing an opportunity to breathe.

Because God knows that blonde waitress has been greedy when it comes to stealing my breath away.

"Will you just tell me what you think she meant by that?" I demanded.

Some of the kids playing by the ocean caught my tone and looked at me weirdly, and I had to smile at them to alleviate whatever bad feelings they have before minding my own business again and try to extricate myself from the situation.

"Isn't it obvious, Jade?" asks Jesy on the other line. I knew that it was a rhetorical question, so I simply waited for her to continue. "It means that she likes you!"

"But what does that mean?" I panicked, throwing my free arm up frustratedly. I started reliving that particular moment. Her lavender smell, her plumped lips, her sharp features - they were all invading my senses at the time. "Does she want more or something ...?"

"Why? How would you react?" I rolled my eyes once again at the light, teasing tone of my best friend, feeling a bit exasperated. Her hearty laugh somewhat aggravated the annoyance I felt.

"Why do you care?" I scoffed. "I just wanted to make sure she's not falling for me or something."

"The way you're falling for her as well?"

Knowing Jesy, I know that it was meant as a joke, but just that mere question alone precipitated my heart to stop beating for a moment. Even without my permission, I feel my breath hitch as the thought of Perrie confessing start to govern my mind; I had to picture a random woman to at least alleviate whatever feeling had caused my heart to palpitate.

I've only known Perrie only a week and for some reason, she stays stuck in my head. I don't even want to know, although it is practically killing me not to. I force my thoughts to not run wild when I picture her back in her neon green bikini that she wore the first day we met and start to calm down my heartbeat.