XIV - SHARED A FREAKING MOMENT

Unfortunately, malls do not occupy beaches for some reason only God knows. And so we decided to take Caitlyn out to a small kiosk that was actually just beside Leigh's lost-and-found cabin and let her do some shopping. Though, from the looks of the so-called shop that has nothing but magazines and paraphernalia related to beaches and resorts and surfing and such, I doubt Caitlyn could find anything remotely worth taking.

The store isn't that much, to be quite honest. In fact, the facade of it looked like a huge, one-floored wooden box with a rickety wooden door and a sign hanging with Richard's illegibly written in white paint. It looked so mundane I'm pretty sure nobody would even cast a second glance at it. Heck if it wasn't for Perrie's profound knowledge about this beach and Caitlyn's affirmation to it, I probably won't believe her if she says that this is a shop.

The interior would probably look the same as the outside if it wasn't for the dusty bookshelves lining up one side of the room and the newspaper stands on the other serving as decorations.

The portly, bald-headed man wearing a simple shirt and shorts greeted us behind the counter at the right corner. But the moment he laid eyes on me was the moment recognition strikes. He was following me around like a puppy, gesturing around the room and asking me if I like anything.

"See anything you like, ma'am?" he asks, for the third time. He gestured to the magazine I was holding and looked at me with hopeful eyes. "Probably the latest magazine, yes?"

"Mhmm ... " I say in a noncommittal manner, skimming through the pages and ignoring his presence.

"So, would you like to purchase it, ma'am?"

"Sure ... "

"You know," he started and leaned closer to me conspiratorially. Instinctively, I took a step back, hoping that he didn't notice. "I heard that you auditioned for the lead role-"

Oh god, not this again.

"Alright, buddy." After tucking the magazine back at the stand, I wrapped an arm around his slim, woman-like shoulders and propelled us to where Caitlyn is at, who seemed to be busy trying to decided which toy is better-a silver miniature Eifel Tower or the London telephone booth keychain.

Caitlyn held the two of them up and showcased them to me. With furrowed eyebrows, she questioned, "Which one should I get?"

"Buy both," I said simply and gently nudged the owner her way. "Hey, bud, you should help her, yes?"

The owner looked torn between wanting to help a customer and wanting to pelt a celebrity with invasive questions, but decided that customers are more important and so stayed behind to help Caitlyn with her dilemma as I saunter back to the magazine stand at the other side.

Perrie was leafing through a sports magazine when I arrived. When she heard my footsteps, she peered up from the magazine and flashed a smile. Even from afar, I can espy the glint of mischief in her eyes, though I decided to not to entertain it.

"Well, hello there, Jade Thirlwall." Perrie shut the magazine close and stowed it back on the sports section. She leaned against the wall beside it and crossed her arms in front of her chest, observing me with a smirk. "Did Cait find anything yet?"

"She's currently torn between a mini Eifel tower and a keychain." I plucked a random magazine from the stand and pored over its contents, trying my best to ignore the heat in my cheeks under Perrie's gaze.

"An indecisive one, that girl," Perrie imparted. And even though I wasn't looking, I could imagine her staring at her little sister lovingly from where she's standing.