XVI - GIRLS' DAY

"So you're trending on Twitter . . ."

"And good morning to you, too, my dear manager who really knows how to start my day."

I couldn't help but let a smile appear on my face when I hear Jesy scoff at my remark. "Don't even."

I pause to yawn before letting my free hand rub the sleep off my eyes. "What is it about this time?"

There was a pause at the other line, before I hear her sigh, "About you and Steve. They're bashing the both of you. You, especially."

My hand froze, and I settled it back down on my stomach, clutching the fabric of my shirt.

I'm not surprised.

Exactly a week ago, I have discovered a picture of me and him kissing on the front of a magazine while I was waiting for Caitlyn to decide on her birthday present (or presents, plural form). And though it might sound narcissistic, I'm certain that the picture won't just be shown in the magazine, but instead will be uploaded in almost every website. In fact, I'm also pretty sure it's been trending the moment the picture was out of the open worldwide.

That's just how it goes in Hollywood.

"I saw our photos in a magazine, by the way," I tell her. "I was in a store and I saw it in the magazine stand."

"Photos?" Jesy repeats, and I could sense her typical protective tone which is something I love about her. "What photos? And what magazine? Why wasn't I informed by Derek? What kind of publicist is he, really?"

"Go easy on the guy, will you?" I chuckle. "He's new. And besides, isn't this what McKinley wanted? PR for the movie?"

"James McKinley is a selfish prick," Jesy comments, and there's no mistaking the acid dripping from her voice as she says his name. "He doesn't care about you, Jade. He only cares about the stupid label and his money."

"But he's a friend of Mom's, so I have to trust that he has good intentions . . . ," I point out, glancing at the clock on the wall.

Eight thirty, it says. Perrie should be at work by now. I should probably go now as well.

I swing my legs off the bed and sat up on the edge. "Just tell Derek to do the usual stuff — release a statement that although we kissed, it was just a fling — blah, blah, blah . . ."

"Jade, you don't get it, do you?"

"Get what?" I question absently, ambling toward the closet.

"This is going to ruin your reputation."

My hand stops reaching forward and hover over the hanger that has my favorite peach sorbet colored sundress, flowing freely as it suspends on its shoulders. Jesy's words rang in my head, reverberating in every corner.

This is going to ruin my reputation.

My fucking reputation.

But since when have I ever cared about my reputation, anyway?

"Jade?" Jesy calls out, sounding worried from my lack of response. "Did you hear what I said? This will destroy you."

"They can talk shit about me all they want." I shook myself from the stupor, will my hand to grab the hanger and drop it along with the sundress on the bed. I sigh out, "My image has been ruined since the get-go, Jes."

"Jade, you shouldn't even care about your image, you should care about your own dignity for crying out loud!" Jesy snaps.

I had to blink twice before letting the words sink in. And the weight of those mere but meaningful words, the impact of every single letter, it was too much that it felt like a wrecking ball had punched me in the gut so hard that it knocked me out of my breath abruptly.