XXI - SHAME ON YOU

"You're pretty quiet now," Niall breaks the silence that has accompanied us since a few minutes ago when we left the party. He gestures at the empty beer clutched in my hand. "Light-headed already?"

I offer a small smile and shake my head. "Just thinking."

Though I'm not looking at him anymore, I could feel Niall's curious gaze thrown my way, but I exert all my efforts not to let this bother me as I focus on the pillow-soft sand and how my feet bury themselves in it as we amble on.

"There's no such thing as a business meeting, is there?" He asks softly, and I look at him, shocked that he could see through me effortlessly. A knowing smirk creeps up onto his face as he continues, "I'm asking because awhile ago you looked like you were in a rush . . . but then right now, you've never been so relaxed."

I sigh and shake my head, looking ahead, "Just needed to rest."

There's a moment of silence before Niall questions, "Are you, like, stressed about something?"

I snort and chuckle, "Sure." If by 'something' you mean 'someone', then yes, I am absolutely stressed about that. Probably on the edge of having a mental breakdown is what it is.

"Hey, wait," Niall places a hand on my elbow, gently pulling me to a halt. I raise my eyebrows expectantly, and he nudges his head at the shore with a small smile. "You look like you need someone to talk to, and I have time. Wanna sit?"

Looking at him now, at his confident stance coupled with his hopeful gaze, it somehow reassured me that Niall could be another person I can rely on aside from Perrie and perhaps Leigh. It's probably because of his innocent look that makes me think that he could do no harm.

I needed a respite from the party, but I didn't really want to be at the hotel right now either. I didn't want to be alone. And here comes Niall Horan with his half-sleeved, floral printed shirt and denim ripped shorts, with his cute smile that made his eyes look like two little crescent-shaped moons, offering me that respite.

And all I could still think about is how would Perrie react when she sees me with him all alone outside the party.

I got rid of that thought almost as quickly as it entered my mind, and smiled gratefully at him. "Yes, please."

We situate ourselves at the beach shore a couple blocks away from the party. After placing my things beside me, I bring my legs up in front of me so I can wrap my arms around them and rest my head on my knees, all while being aware that Niall's beside me with his legs tucked underneath him in an Indian sit as he finishes his beer in a few gulps.

"Woah, that beer tastes so damn good," he says after, exhaling heavily before extending a hand my way.

I mutter a 'thanks' as I give him my empty beer and he places both his and mine beside him against a huge rock. I watch as he turns his body toward me, gazing at me expectantly. He looks more relaxed now as well, leaning his hands behind him for support.

He then speaks up, "So, you're an actress."

My breath hitches for a moment. "You know me?"

He arches an incredulous brow, one side of his lips tugging up. "Who doesn't?"

I could almost hear my heart pounding loudly inside my chest. That's probably why I had to increase the volume of my voice. I shake my head as I lean closer to him, "You can't tell anyone else. Please."