XXIV - I WANT TO BE THAT PERSON

a/n: made a few changes at the last part, but i hope y'all like it :)

"I have to tell you something very important — I repeat, very important — but before we dive into that, I need to see Leigh-Anne."

Perrie simply gaped at me, probably shocked into silence — and I don't blame her for that. Her restaurant's closed as of this time, and she's still wearing her work outfit so I assumed that she just got home when I knocked on her door.

"I, ugh," Perrie drawled out, blinking repeatedly, "I'm confused . . . ? I thought you're busy because you didn't pass by the restaurant this morning and lunch. And it's seven right now, and I just got home . . . and you're here."

I cleared my throat awkwardly and fiddled with the hem of my summer dress. "To be honest, I spent the whole day mustering up the courage to face Leigh and apologize to her — and you, actually."

"Me?" Perrie repeated, her eyebrows furrowed in bewilderment. "Why would you need to —"

Her sentence got cut off as I laid my hands on both of her shoulders, looking her in the eye and hoping she could see the sincerity within them. "Perrie, like I said awhile ago — I have a lot to say to you but can you please take me to Leigh?"

XXX

Unless she's just pretending, Leigh isn't happy to see me.

The smile on her face instantly disappeared and was replaced with a blank expression when her eyes met mine, and my heart dropped to my stomach because of that.

"Jade." Leigh went back to typing on her keyboard, only addressing me with a curt nod. "Did you lose any of your belongings again?"

The cold tone made me shiver to the bones. I cut a glance Perrie's way, and the blonde subtly nudges her head toward Leigh as if to tell me to get this over with. I cleared my throat and looked at Leigh again, and I just hoped that she could see how sorry I am right now.

"Leigh," I started. I cleared my throat again and continued, "I'm so sorry about last night. If I had known that Niall's your boyfriend, I would've —"

"Perrie, leave us alone, will you?" Leigh interrupted, lifting her head up to glance at the blonde beside me.

I could tell Perrie was caught off guard at the request (or perhaps a demand?) and I'm on the same boat as well.

Why did Leigh want Perrie to leave us alone? Is she going to shout at me or something?

My body tensed at the thought. Christ, Leigh's going to be the death of me, literally.

Perrie and I made eye contact again, before she finally moved away. Silence accompanied us save for the sound of Perrie's flip-flops sliding across the wooden floor. She paused right after she opened the door, and took a gander at me. I could see it in her eyes the concern. And from that look alone, I know Perrie didn't really want to leave us alone in case a cat fight ensues I'm assuming, but she nodded firmly at me and finally stepped out.

As soon as the door closed, I spun on my heels and mustered up the courage to brave through whatever storm Leigh's going to cast upon me.

A minute after Perrie left, she finally laughed.

The sudden deafening sound coming from her made my heart stop beating for a millisecond. My hand flew to my chest, clutching the fabric of my summer dress as if I'm having a heart attack.

"What the —"

"The look on your face is priceless, Jade Thirlwall!" Leigh bursted into peals of laughter again, covering her mouth with her notebook that laid on the computer desk awhile ago.