Chapter 3

•••

•••

Miyoung laid her tray of food on the table as she sat in front of Jukyung at the cafeteria. People were staring at her, whispering as she passed. The news of her return had spread like a wildfire. At the small pause between two classes, people even came, crowding around the windows and doors to have a look at her. A teacher had to come to make them leave. Miyoung was used to that, but that doesn't mean that she liked it. It was the contrary actually. It was overwhelming. Once she was mobbed at the airport and felt or even had panic attacks after meeting unexpectedly a crowd.

Miyoung started eating, ignoring the stares.

"That boy Han Seojun seems kind of scary," Jukyung said. Hearing the name of her old friend, Miyoung looked up at her.

"He does have the bad boy image." Sua nodded. "There is a frightening rumour that he didn't just take time off."

Miyoung frowned at Sua's words.

Seojun stopped going to school for a moment? She thought.

Miyoung wondered why. Even though he wasn't that much into school, he would never skip. His mother wanted him to have a good education and Seojun would never go against his mother's wishes, unless it was about his dear motorbike. She was worried something bad had happened to him. She still cared even after all this time.

"But was suspended for beating up a guy, living him half-dead, in a gang fight." Sua continued.

"What?" Miyoung could help but asked, as she looked shocked at Sua. Seojun was part of a gang? He almost killed someone? No, it couldn't be. It wasn't Seojun's type to do such a thing. She knew it. And she also knew better than to listen to rumours. She knew how damaging they could be. She knew it too well. "Seojun would never do such things," Miyoung contradict.

But then she remembered that almost a year had passed since she left. And a lot of things could change in a year.

"You're friends with him?" Jukyung asked, surprised.

"Was." Miyoung corrected, starting eating again. Jukyung understood that it was better to not ask further.

"What are you talking about, Sua? He took a leave for family reasons," Sujin said.

Miyoung was relieved that Seojun wasn't involved in a fight. However, she was still worried. She was hoping Mrs Han, Seojun's mother, and Gowoon, Seojun's younger sister, were alright. She wanted to visit them, but she knew it wouldn't please Seojun.

"Who knows if that's true?" Sua said. Miyoung slightly smiled at her friend. Sua had always loved gossiping.

Miyoung took a bit of her dish then chuckled at Jukyung who started to eat a bit more lady-like after hearing some boys talking.

"Hey, just be yourself and ignore them," Miyoung reassured her. Jukyung softly smiled.

After they all finished to eat. The little group cleaned their table. Miyoung was putting away her trail as she saw Jukyung coming to Suho, giving him a small bottle of juice. Miyoung frowned at the scene but hadn't the time to think much about it as Sua linked her arm with hers and dragged her out of the cafeteria.