c. v

CHAPTER FIVE
I CARE ABOUT YOU

     "how do you feel about an aquarium?" maggie asked ethan.

she had just invited herself into his room, interrupting whatever video game he was playing on his xbox. you know... manly things.

"where would we put an aquarium, mags?" she still blushed at the nickname every time it came out of his mouth.

"um.. the living room! duh." she giggled.

he lowered his headset. "i'll agree to one singular fish."

the girl clapped her hands giddily. on the way out of his room she reminded him. "oh! i'm leaving the house in forty five minutes and you're coming with!" she picked up her orange cat off of ethan's bed. "and stop stealing my cat!"

"to go where?" he ignored her last comment.

"fish shopping, babe."

he stopped her right there. "what if i don't wanna go to go fish shopping with you?"

her bottom lip poked out. "who would pass up an opportunity to go fish shopping with maggie diana nelson?"

"a crazy person." ethan said. "cute middle name by the way."

some random pet store
twelve o' one p.m.

"what about the blue one?" ethan pointed to a blue tang fish.

"like doriiii!!!!" maggie squealed. "but i don't think they have any clownfish so nevermind."

ethan found himself getting sucked more and more into maggie's life as days passed. he was mentally preparing himself for the weekend to follow.

it's just a weekend and then it's back to the two of you. he thought to himself. i wonder if he still likes her. she talks about him like he's gr-

tapping on his shoulder woke him out of his trance. "ethan!!"

"o-oh yeah, s-sorry." he put his full attention on maggie.

"do you like this purple one?" she asked.

ethan nodded his head. "it's cool."

maggie noted ethan's behavior and bought the fish, as well as lots of supplies. ethan swiped his card last minute while she dug around for it in her wall.

"okay here's your receipt. have a nice day." the clerk told maggie.

it took her a hot minute to finally realize: ethan payed.

"ethan you didn't have to do that." she told him repeatedly on the way home.

"i wanted to."

they arrive back home and maggie was arranging their new fish's bowl. ethan sat at the counter and watched the fish swim around in the temporary container.

"something on your mind?" she asked her roommate.

he shook his head. "are you sure? you know, i haven't lived with you for that long but i assure you, i can already read you like a book. so tell me what's on your mind, e."

"why did your friend actually want to come visit you?" he asked her.

maggie stopped everything she was doing. "to catch up..? i haven't seen this guy i used to spend almost everyday with in a year, of course i would take up his offer."

"and he didn't intend getting a hotel, either, did he?" the girl shook her head at ethan's question. "so where was he gonna sleep?"

maggie rolled her eyes. "in my be- in my bed?"

maggie then realized what ethan was saying. just because elliot had been her rock, other than izzy, in highschool, doesn't mean he was the same person. a lot can happen in a year.

"oh." maggie said. "but what, why's it matter to you?"

ethan was lost for words. "um.. because i care about you?"

"sounds like more of a question." she grinned.

"fine, because i care about you mags. there." he smiled back at her.

maggie grabbed his hand. "i care about you too, e."