c. vi

CHAPTER SIX
PEOPLE CHANGE

when maggie picked up elliot from the airport, she gave him the biggest hug. "i missed you so much ell!"

the two stood in the middle of airport, rocking back in forth for a while.

when they were walking out an older lady stopped them. "oh you too are such a cute couple! back in the day, i did long distance with my husband. we had to write letters, we didn't have those fancy gadgets you kids have."

"oh we aren't-"

elliot cut maggie off with a laugh. "thank you miss."

the whole time maggie drove back to her home she couldn't stop thinking about the encounter in the airport.

"are you even listening?"

maggie stopped the car at a red light and looked at elliot in his eyes. "why didn't you let me tell that woman we aren't a couple? this isn't 'long distance.' we broke up."

another word wasn't said until maggie pulled into the parking garage. "my hotel room will be ready in two hours."

she felt guilty to be relieved by the news, but she really took what ethan said to heart.

a lot can happen to a person in a year.

"okay, are you up for some lunch?" she asked him.

they settled for mcdonald's and ate it in maggie's car in silence. "do you want any of my milkshake?"

elliot never responded. he had never been one to be sensitive so she knew something was wrong with him.

"elliot i didn't mean to be so harsh in the car. it just slipped out. i'm sorry."

"i'm not upset, maggie. i... guess i just thought you still felt the same way." elliot's eyes wouldn't meet maggie's.

"it's been a year elliot. i can't just go back to how it used to be." her hands viscously rubbed over her eyes. "you can't possibly still feel the same way!"

"what if i do?" his head cocked to the side. "what if i still fucking love you maggie?"

a stream of tears filled his eyes. "are you seriously gonna tell me you don't feel the same way? we spent four years together! four fucking years! and you're trying to tell me you're not in love with me anymore? bullshit!"

maggie had pulled over into a parking lot by now. "please calm down ell."

"no! did i waste four years, maggie?"

the girl was lost for words. would she rather tell him the truth and risk another uncomfortable outburst, or lie?

"look me in the eyes and tell me you don't love me anymore."

when she wouldn't bring herself to look at him, he forcefully grabbed her chin and help it with a strong grip. "fucking tell me!"

"i don't love you anymore elliot!" she cried and he forcefully shoved her into the window. maggie's head hit the window and she let out a loud sob.

"why did you make me do that, maggie? why did you make me hurt you?" he cried.

maggie held her head in her hands and quickly grabbed her phone. "please get out of my car."

"what-"

"get the fuck out of my car before i call the fucking police!" she screeched and elliot got out of her car.

she didn't have a care in the world about him right now. maggie pressed ethan's contact and brought her phone to her ear.

"hey, mags! you almost home?" ethan cheerfully asked.

when he heard maggie sniffle his tone quickly changed. "hey hey hey it's okay. where are you?"

"i'm in s-some parking lot! el-elliot h-hurt me! you were righ-t!" she sobbed.

ethan thought fast. "send me your location, maggie. i'll be there soon."

new note from c!
efin to the rescue :,)