Twenty-One

"Jisoo...” Rosé gasped, clapping her hands to her mouth.

Jisoo smiled. She and Rosé went to the carnival that night.

“You still remember?” she asked.

Rosé looked at her. “Of course, I remember!” she exclaimed. “This is the first place I ever had fun at... with you,” she added gently.

“Shall we?”

She nodded excitedly.

They went everywhere. They played every game. They rode every ride. They had the time of their lives.

At some point, Jisoo had to go and get some drinks. That was when Rosé noticed a shooting game that if you shot all of the targets, you’d be able to win a stuffed animal.

She immediately went to the booth. She continuously tried to shoot all the targets but she would always fail. She was running out of pennies when a girl walked up to her.

“Need help?” the girl asked.

She looked at the newcomer and saw that she was tall, with brown hair. She was kind of cute, if she said so herself.

She smiled at her, noticing her checking her out.

"Pardon me?” she said politely.

The cute girl chuckled.

“You look like you needed help,” she said, nodding toward the game. “Do you mind if I helped you?”

“Not at all,” she replied. “If you insist.”

“I do insist, actually,” she grinned. “I’m Suzy.” She gave out her hand to her for a handshake.

She seemed like a nice enough girl. She was about to take it when Jisoo came out of nowhere and took it before her.

“Nice meeting you, Suzy,” Jisoo said. With the look on her face, it was quite obvious that she didn't mean what she said. She finally let go of Suzy's hand and said, “But you don’t have to do that.”

Suzy looked from Jisoo to Rosé.

“I see,” she nodded, grinning. “A piece of advice, though. And don't take this the wrong way, man. But next time, never leave a girl alone on a crowded place like this.”

Suzy smiled at Rosé one last time before finally leaving.

When she was gone, Jisoo faced Rosé. She took the toy gun from Rosé's grasp and turned to the targets. She started shooting, and didn't miss once. Rosé was still in daze when Jisoo gave her the prize.

“A little 'thank you' would've been nice,” Jisoo said, her brows furrowed.

“Huh?” Rosé mumbled, coming out of her thinking. She looked at the stuffed toy Jisoo just gave her. “Oh, yes,” she breathed, looking from the big-sized monkey to Jisoo.

Jisoo smiled. “I wanted to be the one to give you this,” she added, pointing to the brown monkey.

“Thank you, Jisoo,” Rosé smiled. She looked down at her shoes for a moment, and then looked straight at Jisoo's eyes. “Chu, I have to tell you something.”

She waited.

She took a deep breath and said, “I’m going on a dinner date tomorrow."

There were a few minutes of silence. Even though their surroundings were noisy, it was eerily quiet between them. None of them spoke. Then...

“I wish you the best of luck,” she said. She smiled her best, thinking that it was better to act that way.

She was slightly taken aback. Couldn't she at least be a little shock?