Forty-Six

Someone was already speaking on the microphone behind the curtains.

Jennie got nervous. She felt her heart pounded harder. She looked around.

There were different types of student groups, and five sets of sofas. Each group occupied a sofa. At the far end corner, the group of students that was wearing green uniforms was from JaBe twin’s School of Arts. Next to them was wearing brown uniforms, which was Mount Valley Private School. The next after that was wearing blue uniforms, School of Technology for Musicians. And the last before them was wearing white uniforms (like the two outside), which made them from Korean Institute.

“I thought he was gonna eat you, Chu,” Jeongyeon said, relaxing on the last vacant sofa.

“Really? I thought he was gonna kiss Jisoo,” Seulgi laughed. “But what really alerted me was Lisa. Did you see the look on her face?”

“Yes! It was practically the scariest thing I’ve ever seen besides the demon from Jeepers Creepers.” Jeongyeon shuddered in memory.

"She was cool, though.”

Jeongyeon smiled.

“Yup, she was definitely cool,” she agreed.

“You do know that you’re talking about me as if I wasn’t here?” Lisa said in her usual bored voice, with a raised eyebrow.

Jeongyeon and Seugi looked at Lisa. They flashed her sheepish smiles.

“I’ve gotten used to it,” Jeongyeon chuckled.

“Me, too,” Seulgi grinned.

“Whatever,” Lisa sighed.

Jennie couldn't help but smile. Their playfulness made her forget that she was supposed to be nervous.

“Incoming,” Jisoo scoffed suddenly. She quickly stood up and widely smiled at something.

Lisa, Jennie, Seulgi, and Jeongyeon turned to where she was facing and they realized that Headmaster YG was walking towards them with a huge, friendly smile stretched across his face. They immediately imitated Jisoo and waited for Headmaster YG.

“Ah! The Student Body President of YG, Kim Jisoo,” boomed Headmaster YG's cheerful voice, when he was close enough to shake Jisoo's hand. “How are you?"

"Ecstatic, sir,” Jisoo answered politely, smiling.

“Good, good,” Headmaster YG nodded. He turned to look at Lisa and grinned broadly. “Ms. Manoban, I'm glad you're here. There’s a favor I’d like to ask, if I may.”

“Of course, Headmaster.”

They waited.

“Astound us all!” Headmaster YG exclaimed dramatically.

Jennie, Jisoo, and Jeongyeon grinned; Seulgi snorted, stopping herself from laughing at the headmaster; and Lisa gave a little smile. The Headmaster was always overly enthusiastic.

“Ms. Yoo,” Headmaster YG mentioned, making Jeongyeon snap her head up to the Headmaster, “I see that you are not depressed about the fact that Ms. Kim is replacing you as the singer of the band."

The nervous feeling that Jennie thought had left her returned with its full might. She didn't like people expecting a lot from her, but more than that, she didn't like it when people doubted her. It made her feel insecure about herself.

Jeongyeon grinned. “There’s nothing to be depressed about, sir. Jen can sing way better than me. And we trust her.”

“Trust. Yes, of course,” Headmaster YG mumbled, nodding approvingly. His eyes then wandered to Seulgi. “Ms. Kang..."