Twenty-Four

Bambam lived in an enormous house by the sea. He informed them that it had a Master's bedroom, his bedroom, four guest rooms, TV room, his father's den, dining area, kitchen, living room, a garage which was big enough for five cars, and a wide-spaced veranda facing the ocean.

Chitthip had the first guest room for her and Mr. Manoban, while Lisa took the second guest room. Next to that would be Jennie's room, for Ella would be staying with Chaerin in the fourth guest room.

As soon as they arrived, they unpacked their things. However, that took no time at all. That was why they had an hour to explore the house as they waited for Bambam's parents.

Jennie decided to go downstairs in the living room, where there was a fireplace. The room was so cozy that she immediately felt at home. She walked around and saw picture frames by the fireplace. She went nearer and saw a quite adorable photo of two girls and a boy between them. They laughed happily in the picture that she couldn't help smiling as well.

The more Jennie stared at the photo, the more she noticed that one of the girls looked an awful lot like Lisa.

"Yes, that's Lisa."

Jennie jumped out of fright. She quickly turned around and saw Bambam a couple of feet from her. His arms were crossed, as though he was watching her from where he was all along.

"Oh, you're here," Jennie said.

Well, duh, she thought to herself - mentally rolling her eyes.

She glanced at the photo defensively. "I was just looking at the, uh, pictures."

Bambam chuckled, walking towards the picture that Jennie was staring at.

"You must be wondering who the other girl is," she said, pointing at the short-haired girl.

"Not really," she answered truthfully.

She had a feeling that she already knew who that girl was. And if truth be told, she wasn't interested to find out if she was right on her hunch. But of course, Bambam chuckled. It was obvious that he was going to say it anyway.

"She's Palisa," he informed, looking at the picture. "She's our childhood friend." He paused for a moment before turning his eyes to Jennie. "You're not going out with Lisa, are you?"7

She blinked at the sudden question. "What?" she asked incredulously.

"Are you going out with my cousin?" he repeated carefully.

"No," she said, her face full of indignation.

He nodded. "Okay, then."

Before Jennie could ask where he was going with this, he continued with a sigh, "It's safe to tell you this without Lisa being furious at me."

She frowned in confusion. "Tell me what exactly?"

"Lisa and Palisa were childhood sweethearts," he began. "Lisa would only be here during summer. Whenever school started again, Lisa had to go back to Korea. They were determined to be together, though. So I guess that was why they lasted for a while."

Jennie wanted to say something - anything. She wanted to tell Bambam to stop. She wanted to ask him why he was telling this stuff to her. And yet she wanted to know the story. Because somehow, understanding Lisa's past was understanding a part of her. And she wanted to know all about her.

"The thing is, Lisa and I have the same taste in girls. Then, she came back the summer before High School and... There's no other way to say it... She caught us - Maggie and I - doing something that you could call cheating. And Lisa... She didn't do anything. She just broke up with Palisa right then and there. Without another word, she walked out and she didn't talk to any of us since then. Palisa felt so bad..." he trailed off, closing his eyes. After a few moments, he opened them again and looked at Jennie. "You weren't lying when you said you're not together? I mean, the way she looks at you..."