Forty-Nine

The gang positioned themselves on the stage.

The crowd instantly got excited because every year, the YG Deviants would always surprise them. It was either with the intensity of the lyrics being sung or the quirky sound of the music being played. They wondered what it would be this year.

Lisa cleared her throat on the microphone. Inwardly, she was nervous. Although you couldn't tell it with her cool expression.

“I’d like to say something.”

The auditorium turned silent, waiting for her to continue.

Whoa, she thought. I never thought that I’d be this nervous.

She tried to shake the feeling away and took a deep breath.

“See,” she finally started, “when I was writing this song for the Clash, there was a particular person in my mind. I didn’t know at the time that she, no matter how annoying she is, was already special to me. Or maybe I knew, I just didn’t have the courage to admit it to myself.” She paused and smiled. “I just wanna say to that girl..."

Here it is!!! Jisoo, Seulgi, and Jeongyeon thought in anticipation.

Is she gonna say...?! Rosé and Nayeon thought.

Lisa eyes the audience, before facing Jennie beside her.

Jennie gasped in surprise. She wasn't expecting this. She stood frozen, not sure on what to do. Her heart pounded against her chest so hard that she wondered if it was going to jump out from her.

She noticed her reaction and grinned broadly. She lifted up a hand to touch her cheek. Her eyes found hers and held them in contact.

“Nini,” she said softly.

She held her breath, waiting.

“I wrote this song for you,” she finished. Darn it, Lisa thought. I said something else.

Jennie tried not to be disappointed.

“What?” Seulgi hissed.

Rosé and Nayeon exchanged dismayed looks from their seats.

“Maybe she’s not ready yet,” Jisoo shrugged, a bit saddened.

“What are you guys talking about?” Jeongyeon asked Seulgi and Jisoo.

“We’ll explain later,” Seulgi answered her best friend.

Jennie really thought that Lisa would finally say the three words that she wanted to hear. But she thought that maybe it wasn't the right time for them to say it yet. She didn't want to hear it because she was insecure at the moment. And she didn't want her to say it because she felt that she had to.

In time, they'll be ready. For now, actions are enough.

Besides, she was still touched by what Lisa said. She had the courage to announce it in front of many people, after all. Speaking of...

“Um.” Jennie glanced at the crowd. “You didn’t have to tell it in front of everyone,” she whispered to her. “It’s embarrassing."

"You think I'm comfortable blabbing things like that?” Lisa asked incredulously. A light shade of pink appeared in her cheeks, causing her to look away from her.

Jennie bit her lip, preventing herself from smiling so wide and giddy. She knew that Lisa didn't usually do things like that. If truth be told, she preferred to keep her personal life private from anyone who didn't have any business in it. Hence, doing something like that for her was quite sweet. It was one of the many proofs of how much special she was for her.