Thirty-Six

It was like nothing happened the night before. Things immediately turned back to normal. The only difference now was that Lisa and Jennie were a tiny bit nicer to each other. They were still bickering about little things, though.

See, Lisa liked having Jennie being outsmarted by her. Her annoyed face was always worth it for her. But she was now more than careful with her words around her. She didn't want to upset her like last night. She could admit that that was way below the belt.

None of the gang mentioned the event of last night. They all just stopped thinking about it — except for the part when Lisa said what she truly felt for Jennie.

If truth be told, Lisa was pleased that none of them told the others about it. Although, Rosé and Nayeon already knew even before Lisa admitted it to herself.

The day passed adventurously. The gang went to sail on Seulgi's yacht. They went skiing and the girls went sun bathing. By the afternoon, they all went scuba-diving. And at night, they stayed in the living room to exchange stories.

Jennie hardly shared any stories. Her life was uneventful until she transferred to YG. It was Jeongyeon and Seulgi who kept talking and entertaining the gang with their past pranks that were always remarkable and well done.

In the middle of the talk, Nayeon unexpectedly asked why Seulgi was a ladies’ woman. The gang then turned to her. They have never asked Seulgi this question once — or even wondered. So they looked eagerly at her, waiting for her answer.

Seulgi turned quiet. Feeling her best friend's uneasiness, Jeongyeon instantly changed the topic. Seulgi, cottoning on, talked more enthusiastically about something different.

The others figured that the reason might better be well forgotten, so they didn't urge her for information. Seulgi would tell them when she was ready.

New Year’s Eve came, and it made Jeongyeon anxious. It was the day that she'd finally tell Nayeon how she felt for her.

“You can do it,” Jisoo said.

“Yeah,” Seulgi agreed. “Just close your eyes, take a deep breath, and say what you have to say.”

Lisa looked at Jeongyeon and said, “It will turn out fine.”

The gang decided that their little celebration for New Year will start at Eleven o’clock that evening in the beach house. So Jeongyeon asked Nayeon to have a stroll around the beach that sunset. And by the time they decided to go back, it was already twilight.

Jeongyeon and Nayeon were walking down the beach with no one around. It seemed that the people went to their cabin or cottages for their own party.

Nayeon smirked as Nayeon pouted.

“So — Obviously, I won the bet,” she said gleefully. “You clearly saw that man fell off his surf board.”

“I’m sorry, what was the bet again?” she asked, forgetting what the consequence of the loser was.

“You would embrace me if I win,” she simply answered. She skipped a step and stopped in front of her, blocking her way. She stretched her arms wide, like a welcoming hug. “Here you go. You can embrace me now,” she added, grinning.

"No thanks,” she said hesitantly. “I’d rather not in public.”

“No one’s around,” she told her, as she looked around. When her eyes returned to hers, she groaned. “C’mon, my arms are wearing out. You have to do that bet, you know. It’s better to do it now than in front of the gang.”

She considered that. Jeongyeon was absolutely right. Better now, than later with an audience. Slowly, she walked closer to her. She took her time raising her arms, while Jeongyeon closed her eyes.