Chapter 22

Why is it so hot? I'm practically dripping with sweat and my mouth feels like I have a dozen cotton balls shoved in it as I slowly come back to consciousness, the sunlight beaming through the open curtains informing me that I slept in far later than I usually do. There's a heavy weight pressing against my waist and I slowly blink away the disorientation of waking up in a different place than normal to see an arm draped across me, which probably accounts for the unbearable heat engulfing me.

As carefully as I can, I slowly lift his arm to try and wriggle away from the damn human furnace, but I misjudge the distance between myself and the edge of the bed and end up falling straight down onto the hardwood floor. A pained groan escapes me as I squeeze my eyes shut, not willing to move any further because, as much as it did hurt, the hardwood is so cold that it feels heavenly.

"Mouse?" Flynn calls quietly from the bed, voice thick and raspy from sleep. His head of disheveled brown hair pokes over the edge and peers down at me with his eyebrows drawn together. "What're you doing?"

"Just chilling," I mumble, draping an arm over my eyes in an attempt to block out some of the light.

"On the floor?"

"I fell out of the bed." He's silent for a moment and I lift my arm to peak an eye up at him to see his dark eyes swirling with amusement.

"Why'd you do a silly thing like that?"

"You're hot," I whine, covering my face again.

"Thanks," he says with a chuckle and I huff as I glare up at him.

"Temperature. I was melting on the bed so I tried to move away from you and moved a bit too far. Thus, floor." He rolls his eyes as he folds his hands on the bed, resting his chin on top of them.

"How're you feeling?"

I shrug and slowly sit up, running my fingers through my hair. "Thirsty and hungry, but overall I feel fine. Probably better than I deserve," I say with a chuckle, glancing up at him nervously.

"How's your memory?" I feel my cheeks flame immediately and I quickly look away as I pull my knees up to my chest, wrapping my arms around them.

"Good," I mumble, refusing to make eye contact. He chuckles and pushes himself up so he's sitting on the edge of the bed.

"And that reaction is the exact reason I said no last night," he says with a small smile before standing up and disappearing out the door.

I stare at the door for a few moments before I rest my head back against the bed, closing my eyes. Honestly, I don't think I would feel this embarrassed if it hadn't been for his rejection, but I do understand why he did it. I don't like it, but I get it... and I do appreciate it.

"Here." I look up to see him holding a fresh water bottle and I give him a grateful smile as I twist the top off and down half of it before taking a deep breath. "You said you're hungry?" I nod and he holds a hand out for me. I take it and allow him to help me stand up, then watch him dig through his closet for clothes. "Here, these should fit you. Once we're ready, we'll go out for breakfast."

"Is it okay if I take a quick shower? I wasn't lying when I said I woke up sweating." He laughs and nods, so I give him a quick kiss on the cheek before I take the clothes and disappear into the bathroom.

The new toothbrush Flynn gave me last night is still sitting beside the sink so I brush my teeth first before stripping out of the pajamas he lent me. As much as I want to bask in the water pounding down on me, I make quick work of washing my body, trying to keep my hair as dry as possible, then hop out and towel off. The clothes he gave me to wear are a little looser than what I'd usually wear, but they'll work for the day, so after running my fingers through my hair to try and tame the flyaways, I exit the bathroom and toss the pajamas and towel into his laundry hamper.