Chapter 3: Therapists and Bikinis

When I woke up in the morning, I remembered all the horrible things that Louis had said to me

When I woke up in the morning, I remembered all the horrible things that Louis had said to me. I silently berated myself for being too much of a coward to tattle on him. But one way or another, I was going to make him understand that I was the one in control.

I started the day the same way that I had done the day before – telling Danielle to get one of my bathing suits ready. This time it was my red one-piece suit with white polka dots. It was quite modest, it actually looked like a very short mini dress, and I liked that it didn't reveal too much.

After I donned my swim suit, I went to check on my mother, to see if her headache had gone away.

"How was dinner last night?" I asked.

"Lovely. We just went into the city for some steak," she said. "I think the red wine gave me the headache, but it's much better this morning."

"Good, I'm glad."

"How was Louis as a chauffeur? Did he have any trouble finding his way around?"

"No, he was perfect," I said, referring only to his driving ability. His personality and blunt mannerisms were horrendous, but I didn't want to get myself worked up. It was a new day and I was going to make it mine.

After a breakfast smoothie, I went to my favorite lounger by the pool once again. This time, I hoped to get some sun and not constant interruptions from Mr. Talkative, although I planned to make him bend to my will.

I had on my darkest sunglasses and I laid still, absorbing the sun's rays. It wasn't long before Louis appeared and began fiddling with the pool filter. He had the same pair of swim trunks on, but this time he had a Led Zeppelin t-shirt on over it.

Classy, I thought sarcastically.

I watched him through my dark glasses, without moving my head. I wanted him to think I was sleeping. He pulled out the pool filter that he'd been working on, and he went to the garden hose to rinse it out. After the hose had been running for a bit, he lifted it to his lips and took a long drink straight from the stream of cold water.

"Disgusting!" I muttered.

"Sorry, did you say something?" He asked.

I raised my voice a little too much and told him, "I said that's disgusting, drinking out of the hose like a dog!"

"You've never drunk water from the hose?" He asked and I gave him a look like he was truly insane. "You're missing out. Your family has a well, and by the taste of it, it's very deep and clean. It's some of the best water I've ever tasted."

"All water tastes the same," I chided him.

"Then why do you drink expensive bottled water?"

"Because it's much cleaner and it's purified. I only put healthy things into my body," I stated.