Chapter 20: Vegas

Danielle's voice roused me late in the afternoon

Danielle's voice roused me late in the afternoon. "Richard is on his way to see you."

I groaned and got up. I realized I'd been in my bed for almost a full 24 hours. How pathetic. I stood up and walked gingerly over to the full-length mirror. My skin wasn't raw anymore, but it was still sensitive and there were little areas that had scabbed over where I'd broken through the skin.

"Well, that's an attractive look," I grumbled.

"Danielle, can you please find me something long-sleeved but lightweight. I don't want Richard to see this." I surprised myself by saying please to her. I guess Louis' influence hadn't entirely worn off.

"Yes, ma'am."

I couldn't bring myself to shower or bathe again after the harsh punishment I'd given myself the day before. I just freshened up with an extra bit of deodorant and some perfume.

"Can you do my hair in one of those messy buns?" I asked Danielle.

"Sure thing."

She had chosen a light poplin tunic and some loose-fitting capris for me to wear. I slipped on some simple sandals and went to find Richard, who had undoubtedly arrived by now.

I saw him waiting at the bottom of the stairs as always. He looked a little surprised when he saw me. When I reached him, he kissed me on the cheek and said, "Your hair looks...different."

"It's called a loose bun," I told him dryly.

"Well, it looks like you just woke up."

"I did just wake up."

"It's...interesting. I might have to get used to that," he said with a wink.

I was relieved that he didn't have some major plans to fly us out to the Caribbean for the afternoon. I wasn't ready for an abundance of time with him just yet.

We went outside to the garden and we sat on a bench under a weeping willow. It was cool enough with the shade, but I didn't want to spend much time out there.

Richard took both of my hands and looked me in the eye. "Is everything okay?" He asked. "You seem kind of distracted."

"Tired," I said simply.

"Well, I'm happy just to be here with you. I've missed you so much."

I knew I couldn't echo his feelings, so I decided to kiss him. It was unorthodox for us to kiss so early in the day, but I'd been wondering, if I kissed him the same way Louis kissed me, maybe I'd develop some stronger feelings for him. Or I just wondered if his kisses would blow me away, the way Louis had.

I pressed my lips firmly against his and he responded by moving his mouth slowly over mine. I pushed deeper and slid my tongue out to tease him into opening his mouth. I didn't usually initiate french kisses, but he was very willing to let me do it this time. He seemed gratified that I was so interested in kissing today. He pulled me tighter, but he grazed one of my self-inflicted wounds from yesterday. I groaned in pain, which he mistook for a moan of pleasure. He stopped kissing long enough to pant, "Ashten" and then he dove back in.