Chapter 11: The Aftermath

My head was spinning as I opened my heavy eyelids

My head was spinning as I opened my heavy eyelids. I couldn't quite remember where I was or what had happened. It took so much effort to keep my eyes open, so I let them fall closed again.

Richard's voice broke through the haze. "Ashten? Are you okay, Darling?"

I could feel someone stroking my forehead, but it wasn't Richard's manly hand. It was more delicate. Most likely my mother.

"I'm fine." My voice came out raspy. I forced my eyes open again and saw the it was actually Mrs. Banning stroking my head as she knelt beside me. My feet were resting up on the arm of the couch with my dress tucked carefully around my legs. I was glad someone had been concerned for my modesty.

My mother and father were standing behind the couch on which I was lying, Richard was next to his mother, and Louis stood at the end of the couch with a worried look on his face.

Wait, why was Louis here?

"I'm okay, really," I said, trying to sit up.

"No, Darling, don't get up yet." Richard turned to Louis and directed him, "Get her some water."

Louis obeyed and quickly came back with a tall clear glass. He handed it to Richard who held it in front of me while his mother helped me to sit up. I took a few small sips, and then I felt dizzy again, so I closed my eyes once more.

"What happened?" I asked.

My mother spoke up, and she didn't sound very happy. "Richard proposed to you and you fainted!"

Oh, no! That wasn't just part of a bad dream. I felt nauseous again.

"Can I have another sip of water, please?"

Richard raised the glass to my lips and I gulped it this time, trying to push the sick feeling back.

My father told me, "It's a good thing Louis here had some first aid training. He picked you up almost before you hit the floor and carried you over here, and then he elevated your feet so you would get more blood flow to your head."

I smiled at Louis. "Thanks."

Then I turned to Richard. "I'm sorry, I was just...surprised, I guess."

He kissed me on the lips with everyone watching and said, "I hope it was a good surprise."

I glanced at Louis and there was no disguising the hurt on his face. "If you don't need any more help from me, I'll be going," he said.

My father nodded to him and he left.

Richard tried to help me stand up, but my knees felt weak so I fell back into the sofa. "Take your time," he encouraged me.

"Richard, I'm so sorry. I know this is a special night, but I'm still feeling rather ill. I would like to go to my room and lie down for a bit longer."