Chapter 33: Confrontation

As we fell asleep that night, Louis held me close again. I couldn't imagine I'd ever get tired of the feeling of being so securely nestled his arms.

"You don't have to do this," he said gently.

I'd been thinking about my motivation to have this one last confrontation with Richard. Of course, I could just walk away and never think about him again. But I wanted to prove something and I wasn't exactly sure what it was.

"I think I do," I replied. "I'm not afraid of him. I mean, the attack was scary, but now I can look back and see that he was just using his power over me. But I realized today that he doesn't have any more control over me because I won't let him. All the brainwashing, pressuring, intimidating. I'm just so done with it! I'm not afraid of him anymore because he's just a coward."

Louis expelled a breathy laugh. "You amaze me! That inner strength I keep telling you about - that's it, right there. Most women who are attacked like you were would be afraid for months afterwards, and they'd probably go through therapy to deal with it. But you...you're so resilient, you just keep bouncing back. You're my little wolverine," he said, kissing my nose.

"Wow, I'm honored," I scoffed playfully.

"I'm serious, wolverines can be cute, but they're vicious when provoked. Besides, I'm a Wolverine, and you love me, don't you?" He pretended to bat his eyelashes.

"Oh, right, the Michigan Wolverines. Wait, I thought you guys were the Spartans."

"Oh, no, no, no! You did not just go there," he said, pinching my sides a little. "The Spartans are the other team from Michigan. It's the Michigan State University Spartans and the University of Michigan Wolverines. Now, I expect you to remember the difference!"

"Whatever," I laughed, rolling my eyes.

"I'm serious," he said. "It's a brutal rivalry. But, I have to admit I'm secretly proud of the Spartans. They have a killer basketball team!"

"Well, whatever silly nickname you want to call me, I'm just tired of being pushed around," I finally said.

He grinned widely and teased, "I'd really like to kiss you, but I don't want to be too pushy."

"Well, then, allow me," I laughed, capturing his lips in a warm, sensual embrace. I used one arm to pull him flat against my chest while he pulled my hips closer to his. I breathed a satisfied sigh into our kiss and he did the same. 

The following day, I found myself squeezing into my personal limo along with an interesting assortment of friends - Liam Payne, the English superstar who was crazily in love with my best friend and held her close to his side. Louis' friend, Zayn, who was still a bit of an enigma - he seemed so quiet and reserved, but he held a confidence that not many young guys do. Of course, Preston was driving, and Danielle was seated comfortably close to Zayn. I didn't have to do much convincing to get her to come with me after I told her that he would be there. And of course, Louis was right by my side.

For once, I was surrounded by real friends, not snooty, pretentious snobs who only cared about me on a superficial level.

I would have been lying to myself if I said I didn't feel a little apprehensive about the meeting with Richard. I had texted him early in the day, telling him to meet us at the Pine Bank Arch in Central Park. It was slightly secluded, but not so much that we would be entirely alone. And it wasn't too far off of West Drive, so Preston could park and wait for us. 

I tapped my foot nervously, just wanting this to be over. Louis squeezed my hand and whispered in my ear, "Wolverine." He gripped my hand tightly.

I laughed at him comparing me to a vicious carnivore, but I smiled in relief. Not only was he good at calming me down, but I loved that we were able to show our affection for each other in front of this group of people, instead of trying to keep it a secret. It gave me a new sense of freedom to be who I really wanted to be.