Chapter 27: First Date

It was around 11:00 in the morning when Danielle brought an early lunch to my room.

"Eat up," she said. "Then we have to get you ready for your date." I thought the enthusiasm was going to burst out of her chest by the way she spoke with a little squeak in her voice.

"I'm not meeting Louis until 2:00," I said.

"I know, but I know just what you're going to wear and how I want to do your hair."

"Danielle, you don't have to do that. I mean, yes, it's your job, but-"

"No, no, no. Louis told me what you're doing, so I have to dress you accordingly."

"Oh, so now I'm a Barbie doll?"

She laughed as she left my room. I started to eat, but I was too excited. My whole body was buzzing with anticipation. I went to the mirror and pulled my hair up and then I let it down, trying to figure out the best way to wear it.

Danielle came back in carrying a lovely red Hepburn dress. I secretly loved Audrey Hepburn's style and I wished I could pull it off in more of my outfits.

"This is gorgeous," I gasped. "Where did you get it?"

"It's mine," she grinned proudly.

"Yes, but where did you get it?"

"I'm not sure if you'll want to wear it if I tell you where I got it."

"If you tell me it's from Wal-Mart, then you're correct," I laughed. "But this material is too nice to have come from Wal-Mart." I looked at her expectantly.

Finally, she blurted out, "I made it!"

"Shut up!" I said. "You made this? Like with needle and thread and a pattern?!"

"Well, I have a sewing machine. But I figured you and I are about the same size, since you've worn my clothes before."

"Danielle," I marveled. "You have a real talent."

She looked very pleased with my compliment. I put on the dress and my jaw dropped at the sight of myself in the mirror. "This is exquisite, really. I should get you together with Veronica. She's a fashion guru."

"That would be awesome!" She said, unable to control her volume.

"Shh," I giggled. "You're going to wake up all of Long Island!"

She raised an eyebrow and said, "It's almost noon, they should be awake by now."

I finished getting ready, with Danielle doing my hair in a loose ponytail with a thin headband. It was out of my face for the sweltering afternoon, but it was relaxed, a look I was beginning to like.

I spritzed on my favorite perfume and gave myself one last glance in the mirror. I was happy with the look that Danielle and I had created together.

On my way to meet Preston, my mother caught sight of me. "Where are you going, all dressed up?" She asked.

Oh no! I had to think of something fast!

"I...I'm going to a ballroom dancing class," I lied. "Veronica and I are taking lessons for the wedding."

"Veronica?" She asked.

"Yes, Mother. She's going to be my maid of honor."

The look on her face was something between a grimace and disappointment. "I thought you should ask your cousin, Faye, to be your maid of honor."

I tried not to roll my eyes. "I haven't seen Faye in years. I hardly know her!"

"Yes, but she's family," my mother insisted.