Chapter 35: Decisions

I woke up the next morning with a massive headache. I groaned as I rolled over towards Louis.

“Not feeling well?” He asked, chuckling. He kissed my forehead and brushed the hair out of my eyes.

“Stop making fun of me,” I grumbled. “Why don't you have a headache? You drank more than I did.”

“Because I'm used to drinking, at least more than you are. And I do have a little headache, but it was worth it to watch you let loose last night.”

“Shut up!” I said, burying my face in the pillow.

He went to the kitchen to get us both some water, and he brought me some Tylenol. I sat up and took it, but then I slumped back against the head board. “Ugh. What was I thinking?”

“You were on top of the world. You kicked some serious ass yesterday, and I'm proud of you.”

“Yeah,” I agreed. “Veronica and I told Harry off, too.” Louis burst out laughing, demanding that I tell him the whole story.

When I finished, I asked, “Did I make a fool of myself last night? I mean, you know...with you?” I bit my lip, feeling slightly humiliated at the way I'd thrown myself at him.

“Did you mean what you said?” He asked.

“That I want to give myself to you? Yes.”

“Then, no, you didn't make a fool of yourself. I'm honored that you trust me that way. I hope I didn't hurt you, I just want to wait until the time is right, you know. Once we can tell your parents the truth and not hide anymore. And once I figure out what I'll be doing after the summer...” He trailed off, knowing that I was uncomfortable with the fact that we had no plans for the future yet.

I closed my eyes and nodded slightly. I understood where he was coming from, but it hurt a little to know he wasn't just going to jump at the chance to come with me.

“Do you remember how my brother started going on about how all I'd ever wanted was to go to Harvard?” He asked.

“Yeah.”

“Well, that wasn't an exaggeration. That was truly all I ever wanted – to go to Harvard and to become a doctor. I worked my ass off and got excellent grades, and you know me – I participated in every sport and extracurricular there was. I had all the confidence in the world and I think I communicated that very well on my application and essay. But it still wasn't enough.”

He bit his lip, and I knew that this was a sensitive topic for him. He continued, “If I go to Boston with you, I'll be your servant-”

“No, that's the thing," I interrupted. "You won't be my servant. My parents will just think you are so that we can be together.”

“Let me finish,” he said. “I will be a servant because your parents will be paying me, whether you want to acknowledge that or not. So while I'm making a servant's wage, I'll be watching you...going to Harvard.” He was getting a little choked up. He finished in a whisper. “You'll be living my dream."

“If it makes you feel any better, I don't even want to go to Harvard,” I said.

“No!” He snapped. “That doesn't make me feel better! I can't even begin to understand how you would not want this opportunity! So, not only will I have to watch you go to class every day, but I'll probably have to listen to you piss and moan about it.”

“Louis,” I said, not even trying to mask the hurt in my voice. “Why would you say that?”

He moved a little closer to me and grabbed my hand. “I didn't mean it like that. It's natural to get stressed out about college, and I just don't know if I can handle watching you do the college thing at my dream university....while I work for you.”