Chapter 10: The Announcement

Richard arrived at my house early the next morning

Richard arrived at my house early the next morning. I wasn't even awake yet when Danielle rushed in and said, "Richard is here!"

I leapt out of bed and ran to the shower, knowing he didn't like to be kept waiting, although I was hardly expecting him at 8:00 AM! I decided not to wash my hair and just clipped it atop my head while I showered. He would probably be disgusted if he knew I didn't wash it, but I didn't have time to dry it.

I threw on a robe and commanded Danielle to do my hair in soft curls, with a little bit of it pulled back. I threw on some makeup, hoping that Richard wouldn't notice that I'd done such a rushed job. As soon as she spritzed my hair to make it stay in place, I snapped, "Get me that seafoam green dress with the loose neckline. I hurriedly changed into my undergarments and stockings. Richard never liked it when I had bare legs under a dress, even in the summer. I rushed through my shoe closet, trying to find something to wear with the dress. I threw a pair of sparkly flats on my feet.

"Danielle! Jewelry!" I barked.

She had already laid out a few things, so I hurriedly put them. That's one thing I could always count on with Danielle – she had a very good eye for coordinating my outfits.

After one last glance at myself, I sped down the stairs.

Richard was waiting right at the bottom with a huge smile on his face. He swept me up into a very tight hug before I even stepped onto the landing.

"Oh, Darling, I've missed you," he said, still squeezing me tightly, my feet dangling in the air.

I lied through my teeth when I answered, "I missed you, too."

He finally set me down and kissed me, ignoring the standard protocol of not kissing me until after a date. But I guess this wasn't a date, so whatever.

My parents came in just then, loudly welcoming Richard home.

"Richard, my boy!" My father practically shouted in his normal boisterous voice. He gave Richard a manly hug with a pat on the back.

My mother stepped in and kissed his cheek. "Welcome home, dear."

"So, are we all set for the dinner tonight?" Richard asked with more than a little bit of enthusiasm.

"Of course. The caterers are set to arrive at 5:00, cocktails and hors d'oeuvres at 6:00, and dinner at 7:00. We've chosen filet mignon, I hope that's all right, Richard. It's kind of ordinary, I know."

"That sounds perfect," he said, flashing his charming smile.

"All right, we'll leave you two love-birds so you can catch up!" My father bellowed.

I rolled my eyes, hoping no one noticed.

"Come here, Darling. I have some gifts for you," Richard said, pulling me by the hand into one of our sitting rooms.