Chapter fifteen

"Until you get comfortable with being alone, you'll never know if you're choosing someone out of love or loneliness"

*Very dramatic chapter ahead😏*

My mouth drops open while my heart hammers in my chest. Girlfriend? I look at Dante in hopes of seeing him deny it but that hope fades away when I see him kiss her cheek. The tall, ginger-haired woman throws me a sickening smile. "G-Girlfriend?", I stutter. "Yes, honey. Girlfriend", she winks and throws her arm around Dante. I look to the side at Luca and Jemila to see if this is some kind of joke. The siblings frown and look disgusted at the woman in front of us.

Did I misunderstand Dante when he said we are boy- and girlfriend? I clearly heard him say that. Maybe he was just pulling a sick prank. "Oh, honey. I hope you did not think of him like that", the woman pouts. I look at the man I thought was mine, but Dante just looks away without standing up for me. The feeling of shame catches up with me as I watch the woman laugh at me. I should have known not to trust him. He had a gun pointed at a child for God's sake.

"N-No, of course n-not", I stutter. Without wanting to humiliate myself in front of all these people, I give them a shaky smile. Luca and Jemila stay silent while glaring at the couple in front of me. How could I be so stupid? With tears brimming in my eyes, I kick off my heels and sprint away. My legs seem to go on automatic pilot as they find their way through the crowd. I make my way through while getting weird glances from the people who notice me. And who blames them. An ugly girl in a pretty dress with pretty jewelry, dashing through her own party with mascara-stripes running down her cheeks. Some sight it is.

"Amara, wait!", Jemila yells from behind me. But not a single vibe in my body wants to be in that ballroom any longer. The humiliation is just too much for me to deal with. I kissed him. I told him the most private stuff about me. Stuff I never told anyone else. The saying is true, you can take an eternity to build on trust but once it is broken, it will never be healed. Blessing my small figure, I reach the end of the room. I Turn around the corner, open the nearest door, and dive in.

The freezing cold hits me like a brick, as I apparently have taken a back door. Great. What should I do now? Should I go home? I look around the alley, sided with bushes. Without further ado, I choose to go to the left and start my way home. The tiny crumbs of glass and thrash on the floor pierce through my skin. Going barefooted was probably not the greatest idea. But it was better than staying there with Dante and his... and his girlfriend. My loud sob echoes through the solemn-looking alley.

Gosh, I feel like such a fool. Of course, he would never date someone like me. I mean, look at him. His broad shoulders, his dark hair, and his perfect face. The dimple that shows when he laughs. Dante literally looks like a model. Besides, why would he want to be with a child like me? He is like a million years older than I am. How could you be so stupid, Amara? My eyes start to sting from all of the weeping. I walk out of the alley when I reach the street. One problem, I have no idea where to go.

As if the universe wants to match my tears, the sky unleashes tears of its own. The rain falling heavy on my shoulders and drenching me within seconds. It must look pretty silly, seeing me wandering through the streets like a drowned princess. There are few people outside. Most of them are in a rush because of the rain. Others are safely tucked away in their car or in a taxi. All of my energy vanishes like a kite in a storm and I helplessly look around.

By now, I have wandered off a little and my options are limited. Either I keep following the road or I take a right into the city. I do not even know which city this is. But we sure as heaven did not drive through the city when we went here. Shrugging my shoulders, I keep following the road. When I look ahead of me, it looks dark but not the shady type of dark. That must be a good sign. The raindrops drip down the bare skin of my arms. Shivers go through my body and make me tremble in the icing-cold weather. The hard wind is not making this better and my body seems to cool down fast.