Chapter twenty-one

"I tried keeping us together, but you were too busy keeping secrets"

Dante POV

Never would I have thought that I would get this emotional at someone laying in the hospital. I hate it. I hate the smell, the stiff doctors, the annoying people that won't stop crying. For Gods sake, the heavy air is a weighted blanket on my shoulders, just waiting for me to stop breathing. 

I squeeze her hand as she lays there; just sleeping peacefully. "Hi, I'm doctor Flemming and I will treat miss. Vanhill during her stay. Are you family?" The scrawny male that walks into the room asks. "Yes," we all answer at the same time. I scoff and look at the two bastards next to me. Unbelievable. First they convince her to stay away from me and now they think they're her 'family'? 

"Great. Now, she lost a lot of blood and is in a critical condition. The wound wil heal, but expect there to be a noticeable scar." The doctor continues to explain as I look down at the beautiful woman on the bed. 

I should've searched harder for her so she wouldn't have been in this situation. I let my eyes trace over her face. Even whilst being sick, she is the most beautiful creature on the planet. I just wish I could see her smile and hear her voice. Her long lashes move against the lids above. Wait. 

"Doctor," I interrupt. "Doctor, she's awake. I saw her blink." My eyes never leave her face as I speak. The incredible feeling I have, is a feeling of happiness I cannot explain. My baby blinked! My head shoots up at the doctor who just stands there, looking at me with pity. "What are you waiting for? Do something," I growl. Why the fuck isn't he doing anything? Isn't he supposed to use that stupid thing around his neck or something? 

"Mister..." He looks at me questionably. "Gambino," I state. The doctor nods his head shortly. "Mister Gambino. It is often seen as a coping mechanism from family to see a patient move. Miss Vanhill is unfortunately comatose. It's unlikely for her to have moved already. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be right back." And with that, before I can answer, the jerk doctor walks away. 

"I'm gonna ask for another doctor," I growl. "No, you won't. Doctor Flemming is excellent at his job and you will let him take care of her," Callister states. I let out a dark chuckle and turn to look at him. "Who are you to decide that, huh? Last time I checked, you only made her stay to sabotage me. Don't act as if you fucking care now." 

My fist are balled, waiting for the right moment to punch the motherfucker in his face— if not shoot him. But near her, there is no right moment. It's the fault of our violence in the first place. Callister scoffs. "I have better things to do than to let someone live with me to spite you. Amara could stay because Damiano took a liking to her, not because we had some sort of backstabbing plan to sabotage you." I shake my head in a dismissive manner. He's lying. All the bastard has ever done is lie.

 The beeps of the machine irritate me to a point a headache is forming, along with the presence of these two lying scumbags. "Just, get out of the fucking room for a minute." I need to be alone with her. I need to tell her how sorry I am and explain the whole misunderstanding.

Begrudgingly, Callister and Damiano leave the room. The pounding in my head is getting worse and worse. I should text Luca to bring some whiskey into the room. My hand let's go of hers to grab my phone and just as it does, the beeping falters. Alarms are going off loudly and my breathing stills for a second. Immediately, I pull myself together and bust through the door. 

"Help! Someone help!" Nurses are running into the room, gathering around her bed and doing god knows what. It all seems to be a blur to me. I faintly hear the nurses shout some things to each other. "One milligram of epi!" One of them says. "Charge to two-hundred... Clear." They repeat the defib thing on her, but of no use. 

The line stays flat as I watch my life crumble in front of me. For the first time in years, a tear falls down, and another. Right in this moment, I understand those crying people that I called annoying earlier. I've seen many people die, but the ones you love, those are the ones who hurt. And I love her, with all my heart.

"Charge to three-hundred... Clear." Please, baby. Wake up. Any type of God, if you're even real, please don't do this. She has still so many people that care about her. Beep, beep, beep. "We've got a sinus rhythm," declares the nurse. The beeps of the machine I found annoying just seconds ago, make me happier than ever. She's alive. My baby is still alive. Oh, thank God. 

A loud, relieved laugh comes out, making the nurses look at me. "She's alive," I breathe. "Alive and well, mister Gambino. You can come back into the room now." My feet rush me towards the angel in the room, my brain still registering the fact she almost died in front of me. Twice.

▪️

I am just about half awake when I hear a cough above me. As fast as I can, I get my head off the bed and look into the most enchanting eyes. "Hi," she croaks out. "H-hi," I stutter. Since when do I fucking stutter? 

Wait, she must need something. "How are you? Do you need some water? You need some water. Are you hungry? I can ask the nurse where the kitchen is or go to that restaurant nearby to get that dish you liked so much. Or an extra blanket? Wait, are you cold? I can-" A hand is slapped against my mouth, making me raise my eyebrows. 

"You talk too much," she giggles. Or well, tries to giggle. It comes out a little strained. "Sorry," I cough awkwardly. Maybe I did talk too much. "But some water sounds good," she points to her throat. I pour the cup that stands next to me and tip it slowly at her lips. Her soft hand taps my arm, making me pull away. "Enough?" I ask to be sure. Her throat must be sore as hell. 

The screaming she did whilst on the ground sounded agonizing and painful; for us to hear, but also for her to feel. Amara nods and smiles softly. God, what did I do to deserve such an angel? "You should be mad at me, not be smiling like I'm some nice person." I mutter. "Agreed," comes a voice from behind. Damiano fucking Colosimo.

I grit my teeth as I'm trying my very best not to burst of anger. The motherfucker acts like he has nothing to do with this. For all we know, it could be him who pulled the trigger. "Damy, you can come inside" my Tesoro exclaims in a happy voice. Damy? 

I turn around with a scoff. "Yes, Damy. Please come inside, Damy." The tint of red appears on his cheeks as he sneers at me, "shut up." I shrug my shoulders, "will try, can't promise." I focus my sight on Amara again, refraining myself from picking a fight. 

"I think we need to talk."

-

Updated: 20 November 2021

Please vote! It'll help me a lot❤️