Chapter four

Dante pulls out a chair for me, which I gladly take. I'm still a little out of energy from what happened a few hours ago. What would have taken place if Dante had not been there on time? I shudder at the thought. Dante apparently noticed it.

"What is on your mind tesoro?", his husky voice sounds from across the table. I look into his dark orbs and shake my head, "n-nothing. Just some random thoughts going through my mind". Dante sends me a look, "I can see that, but what are you thinking about?". I shrug my shoulders, not really in the mood to tell him all that is on my mind. I don't even know the guy, for heaven's sake. He is clearly involved into some shady business. What other reason could he have for holding a ten year-old under gunshot? The more I think about it, the more dangerous he seems. If we didn't have a deal to keep the kid save, I would have run far away from here already. He looks at me with an annoyed, strict look. 

Fortunately, as he opens his mouth to say something, we are interrupted by a girl standing next to our table. "Buonasera, what would you like to eat?", the brunette asks us with a slight accent. Why is everyone around here Italian? Dante looks up to her, "lo prendo lasagne, and for her the spaghetti Bolognese. Give us two glasses of wine to go with it".
The waitress nods her head, "it will be with you soon, sir". She sends me a quick smile, before disappearing into the kitchen.
He sounds amazing when he speaks Italian. Purely out of principle I would want to object about how he did not let me order my own plate, but I'm actually a little glad he did. I have always had a problem with choosing food that I've never eaten. I mean, how do you know what tastes well? Besides, everything here is written in Italian, so I doubt that I would even know what it is.

I open my mouth to ask him the one thing that is bothering me from the beginning, but I close it as soon as the idea pops into my mind. I can't possibly ask him that. He will kill me, that is for sure. Although, he undoubtedly would have done that already if he really wanted to.
"Again doll, tell me what is on your mind", Dante smiles softly.
My cheeks become flustered. "I am not s-sure if I can ask you about it", I stutter.
He shrugs his shoulders, "ask me. If I want to answer I'll answer. If not, I will keep my mouth shut". What about the option of killing me for being noisy? Well, at least I will die knowing the answer. After taking a deep breath I begin to speak, "what is it that you do? Do you- Do you k-kill people?". I get more and more nervous by every word I speak.

He raises his eyebrows, "do I kill people?". He scoffs in a sarcastic manner, like it is funny to him that I asked it.
"Okay, forget I asked anything. It was stupid. I'm really so-" He interrupts my stammering with a laugh, "no need to be so nervous, Tesoro. I will tell you everything you want to know, but now is not the time. Let's get to know each other for a bit first". "O-okay."
One would think knowing if he kills people would be a fair part of getting to know each other.

After a few minutes, the brunette waitress arrives with our plates.
"Here you go. Buon Appetito", she bows her head a little before disappearing again. She seems nice. My eyes dart around the dark-tinted restaurant for a bit. I didn't really notice it when we walked in, but there seems to be mostly men dressed in suits here. They looked dangerous too. Most of them had a harsh look on their face, while talking aggressively with the others on their table.

"Hope you enjoy your meal, darling. This is probably the most amazing pasta you will ever eat", Dante shakes me out my train of thoughts. I look back at him and smile, "we'll see".
I scoop some spaghetti on my fork, and take a bite. Hmm, he is right. This is definitely the best spaghetti I have ever eaten. After swallowing my bite, I hum. "It is really good", I agree with him. He looks at me with adoration, before attacking his own plate. "So, how was school today? Did you make any friends?", he asks after swallowing the bite of lasagne. With red puffing cheeks, I smile at him. "Yes, it was nice. Just school I guess", I declare.
"What is it that you avoid all personal questions? You can tell me everything tesoro."
I shrug my shoulders while looking down, "well, I guess I don't like to share things with strangers".

He sighs and grabs my hand with his. His other one goes to my chin in order to lift it up. My eyes travel from his sharp jawline, to his stubbled cheeks and pure dark eyes. "Amara, I know this is a lot for you to take in. But you have to open up to me because it's going to happen. Sooner or later, you will be mine darling", he states self-assuredly. I'm surprised he even heard me talking, seeing as my voice is nothing more than a mere whisper at this point. Before we can discuss the matter any further, we are interrupted again. This time by a buff-looking guy full of tattoo's, dressed in a black suit that matches his shoes. He looks scary. Dante looks up, and a dark look crosses his face. "Urgent?", comes curtly out of his mouth. The guy looks at me for a second, and then looks back at Dante. "Yes."
Wow, these people do not like to conversate with each other. "Darling, I will be back in a few. Do not leave this seat until I come back. If someone comes up here, just go to the bar and tell the waitress. I am not repeating this time", Dante looks me straight in the eye. His whole demeanour has changed since the guy came to our table. "S-sure", I stutter. He rubs his thumb over my hand for a second, before leaving with the guy.

It is half an hour later, and I really had to pee. While knowing what Dante said about leaving, I left anyway. He can't really expect me to hold it in for who knows how long. That is just ridiculous, I am sure he understands. I am washing my hands, when suddenly the door opens with a bang. Out of reflex, my head spurs to the direction where the noise is coming from. There stands a tall woman, giving off a rather eerie vibe. She has this wild haircut with red strings through it, and hollow cheeks. Her eyes have thick, black edges around them.

The woman steps into the toilet, closer to me.
"So, you are the girl everyone is talking about?", she smirks. It gives me a creepy feeling.
"I-I don't know, I d-don't think so", I stutter wide-eyed. "Oh, please", she sneers, "you are the girl Dante has taken a liking to right?". Okay, I guess I am the girl she is talking about. I keep silent, not knowing what to say. Something tells me that she is not here to make friends. She stands right in front of me, and grabs me by my hair. I hiss out in pain, "stop please, w-what do you want from me?".
She smirks, and pulls my head close to her mouth. "Give him a warning, will you? Just a description of me will be enough", she speaks in my ear. After me frantically nodding my head, she shoves me to the ground and walks away.

I rub my head, which hurts because of the shoving. The ground is pretty solid. No shit, Sherlock. I roll my eyes at myself, and pull myself up. I wince at the throbbing pain in my head. Once again, the door busts open with a loud bang. "What the fuck is it with you not listening to a word I say?", Dante sounds murderous. Oops. I spin around to face him, but stop as I start feeling dizzy. A groan escapes my mouth while I am clutching my head with one hand. "Sorry", I squeak. His hard eyes trail over my body, and freezes when my head comes in sight. "What happened?", he growls. He strides towards me, and gets my hand off my head. "Talk. Now", he growls once again. He looks furious, but I can tell it's not pointed at me. Luckily, because I do not want to be on his bad side.

"I really needed to p-pee, so I went to the toilet. After I was finished, t-this lady came in. She started threatening me, b-because of you", I stutter, "she shoved me against the floor w-when she left". Steam is almost coming out of his ears when he hears me explain what had happened. "Did she say anything?", he spoke through gritted teeth. I shake my head, "no, she just told me to say what she looked like. S-she had these hollow-looking cheeks, and red strings in her hair". I look at Dante wide-eyed, while he is almost losing it. "Fucking bitch", he growls. "Who is she?", I ask curiously. Dante looks back at me again, and softens the look in his eyes. "Nothing. I am sorry this happened, tesoro. Next time, you are coming with me to all matters. Can't have this happen another time", he sends me a reassuring smile.

~

"Okay, so from now on you will always be brought to school and picked up after. I will mostly do it myself, on some days it will be my right-hand", Dante explains to me.

We're sitting in the car in front of my house, and he is going on and on about my safety. Sadly, he will not tell me what the big deal is. But I'm sure I can get it out of him soon. All these rules of him are ridiculous. "D-dante, I don't think it is necessary to have a chaperone for school every day. I have managed to walk there for the past seventeen years, I can deal with one more", I state in a shy manner.
He raises his eyebrows, "your safety situation has made a bit of a change now, sweetheart".
So because he is waving around guns, I should be chaperoned at all time? Don't think so buddy.

I groan, "no. I will not have a babysitter all because you for some reason think I'm in danger".
Dante growls, "you will because I say so. I'm not asking, remember our deal. You're lucky I let you live in your own house, that can change any minute if you continue this".
A frustrated sigh leaves my mouth, "fine".
"I will take you to meet my right-hand tomorrow. He is like family to me, so you will be in good hands. Now, goodnight tesoro. Call if you need anything", he gives me a kiss on my forehead. Immediately a blush is forming on my face. "Goodnight", I yelp while I am practically running out of the car. I hear a faint laugh coming from him before I slam my door shut. 

---
Updated: 21 September 2020

*Vote please!*