Chapter five

I shut my locker close, and start walking to the exit of the school. A relieved feeling washes over me, finally I can go home. Not that I don't like school, because I do. Just not the people in it. I put on my blue hoodie as I am walking over the parking lot. It is kind of chilly today. The wind is sweeping the orange leaves off the trees, and the smell of autumn enters my nostrils. I like the fall. The season gives off a cosy vibe.

My eyes travel around the parking lot, and spot Dante standing against a red sportscar. He is always driving these fancy, expansive cars. He takes off his sunglasses and smiles at me. "Hey", I greet him.
"Hello tesoro. How was school?", he asks whilst opening the door for me.
I shrug my shoulders, "it was okay. We didn't really do much". He hums, and gets in the other side of the car. "We are going to my place right now. My friend Luca is waiting there for us, the one I was telling you about yesterday", Dante says. I nod my head, and lean against the window while we are driving to his house. I hope his friend is as nice as Dante says he is. People normally have the habit of not liking me.

I am clenching my sweaty palms together, while tapping my foot nervously against the floor of the fancy car. The thought of having to talk to new people is nerve-wracking. Never in my whole live has that done any good to me, so why do it? Dante seems to notice my uneasiness, as he puts his hand on my knee. Immediately I stop tapping my foot. With flushed cheeks, I look at him.
"Don't be nervous, Luca will like you", Dante tries to relax me. Considering the fact that I haven't talked to new people in years, it is not working. "D-do I have to talk?"
Dante chuckles, "well, that would surely help with communicating with him".
Strange enough, I'm not even nervous to go to his house. Although I shouldn't, I feel like I can trust Dante. He gives off a rather reassuring vibe.

We arrive at a large iron gate, which opens immediately when Dante pulls up in front of it. He turns the car to the left, and my jaw falls open at what I see. It is even bigger than the mansions you mostly see on films and in books. There is a huge fountain in front of it. Around the driveway is all grass, with little ponds of water made in it. The house itself is a bit of a beige colour, and is huge but cosy at the same time. It looks like Italian architecture.

"Do you like it?", Dante looks at me with hope swirling in his dark eyes. I nod my head, "it is beautiful. Do you live here all by yourself?". That would seem a bit lonely to me.
"No, a few of my men live here as well. Luca does too, but only for half of the time. The other half he spends at work", Dante explains. He sleeps at work? That is weird. "Come on, let's go inside", Dante walks out of the car. My hand reaches for my door when it suddenly opens. I look up, and see Dante smiling at me. "T-thank you", my cheeks are becoming a fairly red shade again.
"My pleasure tesoro", he grabs my hand and helps me out. "Don't sweat it okay? I will kill everyone that even looks at you in a wrong way", he says. The frightening thing is that he probably means it in a literal way. Even though we are days later, I still shudder at the image of Dante holding that little boy at gunpoint. I hope his friend is not one of those scary men that were there that day. It would be very scary if he is the man who said that Dante should kill me.

We have arrived at the front door, and I see Dante nod at the two guys that are standing next to it. One of them nods back, and opens the door for us. He even has his own porter. How rich is he? Obviously, I cannot ask him that. Seeing as it would be very rude. But hey, a girl can wonder. He strides inside, and takes me with him by my hand. Amazed, I look around. We are standing in a huge foyer, with black and white tints everywhere. Dante chuckles at my expression, "come on, you can gape at the house another time. We are meeting Luca in the kitchen, the guy is always hungry".
A giggle escapes my lips. Dante looks at me with a smile, "you should laugh more often around me. I like the way it sounds, doll". Feeling shy about the compliment, I just nod with a beet-red face. I have never been one to react well on compliments. I find them way to uncomfortable. Though, it is nice of people to give them.