Chapter ten

"You cannot outrun insanity, anymore than you can outrun your own shadow."

The music is loud and blaring, the lights almost give me instant epilepsy. While we have only been here for less than a minute, I am perfectly reminded as to why I do not go clubbing in my free time. Or well, one of the reasons. You probably need some friends to go too. Dante made the drive here not much fun, seeing as he gave me a speech the whole ride long as to what I was to do by arrival. Meaning: sit still and don't talk to anyone. Not that I needed much convincing for the last one.

As of right now, I am sitting at the bar feeling very out of place. Dante said he could seat me in a back office, but he wanted me in his eyesight the whole time. I would have preferred the back office though. Everywhere I look are just drunk people. The barman is not much fun either, seeing as he just ignores my existence. I look to my left and see Dante with Luca sitting in a booth with two slightly older men. Things do not seem really friendly, and Dante's whole demeanour has changed the minute we walked in. He looks so intimidating right now, even more as he normally looks.

"Hi, are you new here?", a woman's voice asks from my right. I spur around to face her. "Oh, n-no. I am waiting on someone", I stammer. The woman next to me has an extremely beautiful, exotic appearance. Her pitch-black hair flows elegantly over her back, while her chestnut eyes have the longest lashes above them. She is very tall. What is it with everyone taller than me? "I am Jemila, what's your name?", she reaches her hand towards me. I shake hers as I introduce myself, "H-Hi, Amara". Oh, how I would love to say a sentence once without stuttering.

Jemila smiles at me, "want a drink?". I shake my head, "I never drink". A blush creeps on my face. Gosh, she must think that I am such a child. Though technically I am, but yeah. She raises her eyebrows, "never? Come on, you have to try it. Once you have a few, you have the most amusing times". She sends me a kind smile. "I'm s-still underage, I n-need to wait a week before I can drink", I explain. This woman makes me nervous, yet she has a comforting aura around her. A bit like Dante and Luca actually.

"Please, like any of that matters around here. Let's make a deal. Have one, if you find it gross you throw it away. If not, bottoms up", she winks. Hesitation fills my brain. I guess I have to try it sometime anyway. Maybe she finds me rude if I decline. "O-Okay. Only one", I give in. She claps in her hands excitedly and orders something. My eyes wander to my left again. Dante and Luca seem to have a heated argument with the other men by now. But anyone can see that the two across from them are frightened. They have that scared look in their eyes. They look a bit pitiful. I know for a fact that I would not want to stand in their shoes right now.

"Here you go, your very first cocktail", Jemila says while handing me an orange drink. I grab the glass and sniff it. I have to say, it smells deliciously sweet. I always had a sweet tooth. Shrugging my shoulders, I take a few sips. Jemila looks at me with questioning eyes, "Well? What do you think?". I smile, "it is surprisingly good. It tastes like oranges". Jemila chuckles, "told you so. Now, bottoms up!". She grabs her own glass and gulps it empty in just a few sips.

~

"Girl, you should have seen the poor man. He walked out of there naked, except for a sock he used to cover his ding dong", Jemila shouts over the loud music. A loud laugh escapes my lips, "I actually feel so bad for him, but at the same time I cannot stop laughing". "Don't feel bad, he cheated on her for like half a year", she laughs along with me.

We have been sitting here for an hour now, and she is genuinely great company. It took me a few glasses to open up, but she was patient enough to stay while I said next to nothing. She explained that she likes to talk a lot, so I could get used to hearing the 'most fucking hilarious stories ever'. Her words, not mine. She grew up surrounded by protective brothers, and apparently is using her freedom now to go clubbing and get wasted.