Chapter sixteen

"Stop setting yourself on fire to keep someone else warm"

"Callister is probably residing in his office. The man cannot live a fucking day without working, excuse my language", Damiano tells me. His blue eyes sparkle again at the mention of this Callister. "I-It's fine", I smile. Damiano looks at me and shrugs, "nah, my mama taught me to never swear around ladies". He puts his arm around my shoulder and leads me to God knows where.

We just got back from the guestroom, where he gave me some fresh clothes. Luckily, he had a pair of grey joggers in my size. The red t-shirt, however, is way too big on me. I am thankful to have it though because that wet dress was getting extremely uncomfortable. "Ah, here we are. Follow me", Damiano says while entering through an oak wooden door. I shuffle in behind him and look around in awe.

Whereas Dante's office was modern and sleek, this office was old and dusty. But the good kind. Old books are lined up on the high shelves, candles on the windowsill, leather chairs around a wooden table. It looks beautiful. Damiano walks towards a desk, which I now see, has a man behind it. "Hi, babe", he says and kisses the man on his cheek. The guy, around thirty, smiles at him and greets back. His smile falters when he looks at me. "Why is there a little girl in my office?", he frowns.

I huff. A little girl? I am eighteen. Damiano ruffles the guy's blonde hair and grins, "I picked her up on my way here. She's staying with us for a while". He winks at me. The guy behind the desk, probably Callister, turns to Damiano with a scowl. "Excuse me?" He looks back at me and lets his eyes look me up and down. Suddenly, my eyes find the ground remarkably interesting. It feels like I'm intruding or something. "I-I'm sorry. I can j-just go to a hotel", I murmur.

"No, you can't. Callister, this is Amara. Amara, this is Callister", Damiano introduces us. I walk towards the intimidating man behind the desk and stick my hand out. "H-Hi, nice to meet you", I stutter. God, why am I so bad in meeting people. No wonder he thinks of me as a little girl if I stutter every sentence. Callister shakes my small hand with his big one and nods.

His muscled posture and tall frame make him look rather scary. But the hard look in his eyes is even more intimidating. "And how come that Damiano had to take you to our home?", Callister raises his eyebrows. With fiddling fingers, I look at his chest trying to avoid his eyesight. "W-Well, that is a p-pretty long story", I chuckle awkwardly. Callister points to the chair in front of his desk. "Take a seat, I have the whole night", he tells me. Damiano looks at me with a slight of guilt and keeps standing beside Callister.

Aware of every movement, I sit down on the leather chair in front of his desk and clasp my hands together. Where to begin? Damiano speaks up, "why don't you start with why you sat there on the side of the road?". I nod my head, agreeing. "My b-boyfriend", I swallow the lump in my throat at the title, "he threw me my first birthday party. We were having fun and all, until this- this woman showed up. She uhm- she appeared to be his g-girlfriend. T-Then I ran away, but it started raining and I had only a dress on. S-So Damiano stopped and o-offered me a ride".

My head hangs down in shame as a tear drops down my cheek. "What? He cheated on you on your birthday?", Damiano growls. I shrug my shoulders. I guess he did. Callister clears his throat. "So uhm- I am sorry for you. But can't you just stay at your house?", he questions. I look desperately at Damiano, who seems to understand my unspoken question. "Her house was raided by some guys that wanted to do shit to her, and her father is away for business", he explains to Callister.

Callister hums and looks at Damiano and then back at me. "You can stay. But one mistake, and you are gone", he warns. "T-Thank you, I will figure something out in the meantime", I smile. Damiano gives me two thumbs up and grins. "Thanks, babe", he tells Callister. "Yeah, yeah. Your responsibility. Now let me work, shit needs to be done", he waves us away.