Seeing Regulus Off

Snuffles bounded through the barrier between Platforms 9 and 10 at King's Cross station with as much abandon as one could possibly expect a dog to have when charging through a train station. He barked loudly as the scarlet red Express engine came into view, the steam smoking up from the stack, the pistons sighing in their rest.

Regulus followed as indiscreetly as he possibly could. By the time he'd come through, several girls from second and third years were petting the dog merrily, scratching him behind the ears as the dog seemed to grin happily.

"What a pretty puppy! Do you reckon he coming to Hogwarts?"

"I didn't know that dogs were an option for the animals!"

"Nor did I, all my letter offered were cats, toads, and owls!"

Snuffles made them all cry out with disappointment as he charged down the platform after Regulus, leaving them and the adoration behind. His ears flopped happily as he walked along, tongue lolling out, looking about as they made their way through the crowd to find Kreacher, standing at the far end by the luggage compartment.

The old elf sat atop Regulus's steamer, peering grouchily about at anyone who came too near to his Master's belongings. "Here you are, Kreacher," Regulus said, nodding his approval.

Kreacher stared at the dog in Regulus's wake. "Master's got a dog that is following Master," Kreacher said, pointing.

Snuffles bounded forward, startling Kreacher so he tumbled off the trunk and shook with worry as he peered over the top of it, his long nose hooking over the lid, eyes wide and staring untrustingly at the dog. "Bad dog," Regulus said and the dog let out a series of barks that sounded a good deal like laughter. Regulus's palm covered his eyes as he counted to ten, wondering what the bloody hell James Potter had thought this was a good idea for - he ought to have taken Sirius and gone home right from Russell Square, rather than wasting their time by sending Snuffles along to the Platform at this rate!

Kreacher scrambled nervously up onto the trunk, eyeing Snuffles suspiciously. He was about to say something when Barty Crouch Jr. approached, carrying a book bag and accompanied by a tiny elf, who Kreacher eyed with suspicion. The elf trotted merrily alongside Barty, her ears flapping, but Barty looked quite sour.

"'Lo Barty," Regulus greeted the other Slytherin boy. He could feel the tension in Snuffles, his hackles raising as he glowered at Barty's approaching frame. "Knock off, Snuffles," he murmured too quiet for Barty to overhear, "I'm supposed to be mates with this bloke." But Sirius stayed on guard, glowering up at Barty. Regulus smiled at Barty's elf. "And who is this?" he asked.

"I is Winky, sir," came the elf's reply, her twitchy ears twisting with excitement.

"Don't you dare speak to wizards!" Barty glared at Winky.

"Winky is sorry, Master Barty, so so sorry." Her ears were flat and she looked near to tears and quickly punched herself in the side of the head. "Bad Winky! Bad, bad, bad Winky!"

"Stop! You didn't do anything wrong - Barty, tell her she didn't do anything wrong! I spoke to her first. She would have been rude not to answer me!" Regulus pleaded.

Barty rolled his eyes, "Winky, stop."

"Yes, Master," she squeaked rather pitifully.

"Since when do you have an elf?" Regulus asked Barty. He flexed his fingers and balled them up, anger at the mistreatment of the elf scorching through his nerves. He wanted to scoop the poor thing up and hug her for how upset she looked.

"Dad convinced Mum that they were dead useful and that I needed someone watching over me." Barty scowled. "He isn't too keen with me going off alone."