The Unhealables

"Who do you reckon Barnaby is?" James whispered, leaning toward Lily the moment Constance Merriweather was out of ear shot.

Lily shrugged, "Dunno, but it sounds like somebody got to Anne Veigler's Mungo's records before you did... and to Constance, for that matter."

"Reckon anything she says about the case is trustworthy then? She may have had her memory altered."

"I hadn't thought of that," Lily said with a frown.

James rubbed his chin. "Unless Barnaby really is a uni student."

"Don't be thick!"

"Alright then. So if I'm the Ministry's agent on this, then whoever Barnaby is, he's got to be on the villainous side, yeah?"

"I'd reckon," Lily said. Then, "Also - Con-Con?!"

"Hufflepuff?!" he retorted.

Lily laughed, "That would certainly have been your secondary house."

"Bugger off!"

"Whatever is the matter with Hufflepuff?" Lily demanded, "Some of my favorite people were from Hufflepuff."

James said, "But your very favorite people came from Gryffindor."

"Yes, Sirius and Remus both," she agreed.

He cleared his throat.

Lily smirked. "But Jasper Odair was a Hufflepuff."

"He was a knock off of somebody else you know who was a Gryffindor, though, wasn't he?"

Lily cocked her head to one side, "Whatever do you mean?"

"Well, Evans, of course your very favorite person is. Gryffindor."

"You mean Dumbledore?" she asked. "Ohh no, of course, Professor McGonagall!"

"Evans, I -"

But at that very moment Constance Merriweather returned and James and Lily abruptly dropped their bickering. The woman's eyes were watery, as though she had been crying, or else about to.

Lily jumped up. "Mrs. Merriweather, let me help you with those." She took up the tea cups from the old woman's arms and guided her to the couch again. Even the slightest touch to her arm and Lily could feel the weight of guilt and sorrow - regret? - flooding from the woman. She looked at James with helpless eyes as she eased Constance into the cushions.

"Thank you dear," Constance murmured. "You are such a sweet girl." She looked up at Lily as she set the tea cups on the table. "I don't know what it is about you, but you're so very... comforting."

James smiled at Lily. "That's my Con-Con."

Lily glanced at James at the sound of the name, then turned back to Constance. "I'm glad I'm able to help in anyway. Is something the matter?"

Constance drew a deep breath and then looked between James and Lily. "Well. Well I suppose I must be completely honest with you. I do hope it won't change how you think of me - or moreover your aspirations to become a mediwizard, Tibirius."

James was surprised at this comment, then, "No m'am, it won't, I assure you - whatever it is."

She nodded as Lily sat and Constance poured the tea into the cups. She handed them each a cup and she looked down at hers for several long moments. Lily glanced uneasily at James, who shrugged - and, for good measure, took another cookie from the tiered tray.

"Are you alright, Mrs. Merriweather?" Lily asked tentatively. She held her cup, but hadn't taken even a sip yet, she was so focused on the old woman.

James chewed his cookie, but also stared at Constance Merriweather intently.