Lily's Fight

Lily woke staring up at the pure white ceiling of St. Mungo's, and felt a spur of confusion and panic rise up in her. The panic and confusion were dulled nearly immediately when she became conscious of the weight of James beside her, curled against her like a tea spoon. He was asleep, his face pinched a wee bit as though in pain or worry, and his dark hair hung over his forehead, messier than ever.

"Potter?" she whispered quietly.

"Evans?" he murmured without moving.

"Why are you still here at the hospital?" She asked, "It's past visiting hours."

There was a long pause and then his eyes opened and he looked at her, and she could see now the dark bags beneath his eyes from lack of sleep and the lines of lingering worry that crisscrossed his brow. "You were hurt," he said, "And I had to know you were alright."

Lily smiled a bit sadly, "Oh James." She reached over and ran her hand through his hair and tried to pull him into a hug, but he winced and took a sharp intake of breath. "James -"she said, concerned, "What's the matter? Are you hurt?"

"Tis but a scratch, my love," he answered. He steeled himself silently, gritting his teeth a bit, and leaned forward to kiss her. "See? Just caught me at a funny angle."

Lily eyed him suspiciously.

"Truly, Evans. I'm alright. Like a million galleons. I can get up and do a tap dance for you if you like? A babushka, perhaps?"

She laughed at the idea of it, "Well go on then," she commanded, "Let's see this babushka of yours."

James started to get up, rather hating himself for volunteering for this, but Lily caught his arm and pulled him back. "Oh stop you git," she said, and she kissed him.

Sirius and Remus arrived through the door at that moment, Sirius a flurry of energy and Remus visibly tired from following after him. Sirius flung himself at James and Lily, landing directly between them on the bed so that James had to catch the bed rail to keep from falling out onto the floor. "Evans darling," Sirius said, laying his head on her shoulder, "How I've worried for you."

Lily laughed, "I'm doing quite fine, Sirius."

"Moon-Moon says there was a battle."

Lily looked at Sirius with questioning eyes. "Yes, and you were there."

"Was I?" Sirius waved his palm, "Pish-posh. Well I'm not the one in hospital, am I, Lilith? Silly ginger." He rifled with her hair.

"Sure, but put your best mate in hospital in the process of leaping about like a mad dog," James said, having slid off the bed and dusted himself off now.

Sirius turned, "Hark, my harem is jealous."

"Your harem has something wrong with his ribs," Remus injected, and James looked at Remus in surprise. "I'm not blind."

"James Potter," Lily said, craning to look over Sirius. "Whatever is the matter with your ribs?"

"Just a bit bruised up, nothing horrid," he replied, "Honest."

Remus raised an eyebrow, "Bruised ribs is quite painful, they've got spells and potions that could heal you right up, Prongs."

Sirius said, "Yes, you'll want those ribs in good shape for Tuesday." He winked.

James rolled his eyes, "Honestly I'm --"

"You're going to be looked at," Lily demanded. "And so aren't you, Mr. Black."

"Aw comeoffit, who do you think you are? Minnie?" Sirius whined. Lily gave him a stern look and he sighed and slithered off the bed. "Mean," he murmured.