You Need to be Seen

Marlene McKinnon was asleep across a couple chairs shoved together in the waiting room on the 4th floor of St. Mungo's. She'd not been allowed to stay in with Emma after visiting hours had ended, but she had also refused to leave the hospital. She clutched her wand and pulled Emma's jumper close around, and was pleased as the exact scent of amortentia filled her senses.

"Maaaaaaarleneeeee my LOVE!"

She stirred and opened her eyes, finding Sirius Black prancing into the room. She ran her hands over her tired eyelids, making sure to get the remnants of tears from her cheeks as well. "What are you doing? Is someone else hurt? Oh no - it isn't Remus, is it?"

Sirius threw himself down beside Marlene, gathering her feet up onto his lap and leaning back in the chair. "No, darling, Moony is perfectly fine, rather, it seems Evans was a bit bruised up and we're here to check on her and Prongs."

Marlene sat up, worry on her face, "Lily? What's happened to Lily?"

Before Sirius could do more than open his mouth to reply, Remus came into the room. "Bleeding boggarts, Sirius, you've got to be looked at."

"You are looking at me!" Sirius replied, "And so is Marlene. Aren't you looking at me, Marly-dear?"

Marlene raised an eyebrow, "I doubt whether me looking at you is the way which Remus means you need to be looked at, Siri-Bear."

Remus crossed the room and shoved his hands in his pockets, stressed from having been dealing with this wildly uninhibited version of Sirius. He'd been pinging about like a pinball, and Remus was worried that the spell that had knocked him down had done some sort of damage. Even now, hours and hours later, Sirius's eyes still had something funny in them that Remus didn't recognize.

"I mean by a mediwitch," Remus said, confirming Marlene's doubt.

"What happened to him?" Marlene asked.

"Hit with a spell," Remus replied, "And he's been a bit off since."

Sirius laughed, "I'm always a bit off."

Remus replied, "More than usual."

Sirius laughed again, but didn't make any indication of getting up to go along with Remus to see the mediwitches.

"How is Em?" Remus asked Marlene.

"They've given her skelegro and put her to sleep so she doesn't feel the pain. They said her knee may not reconstruct quite the way it was so she'll be a bit stiff in that leg..." Marlene frowned. "Emma's going to bloody hate that."

"My knee's buggered up, too," Remus said, "Just have patience with her. It'll be worse some days than others."

Marlene nodded.

"Like around the MOOOON!" Sirius aaid, dragging out the OOO in moon in a bovine fashion.

Remus glared at him.

Marlene looked at Sirius and said, "You mad man. Go and see the mediwitches."

Suddenly the door opened and one of them came in, carrying a chart.

"Well look at that. I see one," Sirius grinned.

"Are one of you Marlene?"

"Me. I am." Marlene sat up quickly, taking her feet away from Sirius's lap and getting off the couch. "Is Emmaline alright?"

"She's woken up and is asking for you," the Mediwitch replied.

Marlene frantically gathered her things and followed the mediwitch away, so caught up she forgot to do more than wave at the boys as she hurried out the door.