3

Z's POV :

"I'd be home only later than 9 today. Don't wait up for me", Wali said not to anyone in specific, picking up her bag and an apple on her way when I called out to her.

"Wali, wait a minute", I spoke making her stop in her steps but she still had her back towards me. "Why would you be late? Your school gets over by 3 right?", I asked absent-minded trying to make out the reason.

She turns to me with a annoyed look on her face, screaming 'are you kidding me?'

"Wow! Do you even remember I go to a job at the diner up till 7?", She said as realisation hit me. I tried to convince her not to take up the job but she was adamant on being independent. "Right! I'm sorry. Why did I even expect it from you?", she snaps making me look at her shocked.

"What do you mean? I just forgot because-", I started only to get cut off by her.

"I don't want your shxtty excuse. I shouldn't have expected anything from a selfish person like you", her words cut deep into my heart.

"Waliyah. You know well that bhaiya is anything but selfish. What are you even talking?", my little angel spoke up for me but I didn't want her to disrespect her elder sister.

"Safaa, you're still young. Apologize to your sister, now", I ordered as she did what I said.

"Sorry", she mumbled without remorse.

"Whatever. I don't want to waste any more of my time here", she said turning on her heel and walking away.

Selfish person.

Selfish person like you.

Why did I even expect it from you.

Selfish.

Her voice repeatedly played on my mind as I hid myself behind the kitchen counter, trying to pack Safaa's lunch. I pulled up a chopping board to slice some onion rings for the sandwich, while I felt tears on my cheeks. I didn't realise when my mind and eye coordination slipped, making me cut my index finger. I winced at the pain, though it was nothing when compared to the pain I felt in my chest.

"You still are a kid, bhaiya. Why would you do that?", Safaa spoke worriedly, taking a hold of my finger and pulling me towards the running tap. I washed my finger, as she instantly picked up the turmeric powder, taking a pinch and pressing it down on the injured finger.

"I don't know where your mind goes off? I understand that she's hurting you in every way but you don't deserve this. You've done so much for us and to see you in pain, hurts me, bhaiya. Did I even ask freaking onions in my sandwich? You're so extra and always go the extra mile to do everything for us but you're always the one hurt in the end", she rambled looking at my finger, making me  smile at her. These two are the only people whom I care the most in the world. They're my everything and I would never put anyone before them, not even myself. I kissed her forehead and cheek with a wide grin.

"Thanks so much, my lil baby. You know you've grown up so much. You're not that little Safaa anymore", I said, my heart filled with love and affection for her.

"I'm still your little sister, bhaiya", she pouted cutely.

"Yes. You're my baby sister", I teased knowing that it'd annoy her.

"I hate you", she said with a deepened pout and scrunched eyebrows.

"But I love you", I hugged her, my heart soaring with pride that they're my sisters. No matter what they show outside, I know they're still my little angels. "C'mon, let's finish the sandwich and pack it soon. We're getting late", I said trying to hold the knife again.