Part twenty-seven

Hey guys! This part is dedicated to my cousin, 'boneygirl98' as her writing is amazing and she doesn't get half as much attention as she deserves. Please check out her one direction, harry potter and disney works! Thanks! 

Warning: Contains some scenes in which readers may find disturbing. Sorry in advance if some of the medical information is incorrect, but i had to rely on research from the internet.

*Zayns POV*

I hate hospitals. The strong stench of antibacterial, the screams of children or those in pain, the deathly silence when someone is seriously ill, or worse, have died. Yet the hospital is where I have spent the last 12 hours; pacing up and down the corridors, praying and hoping that Rhiannon and the baby will be okay. "Urgh, why is it taking so long?" I shouted out, to no one in particular, however earning an answer from Niall. "Don't worry; I'm sure everything is fine." He said, attempting to reassure me. "Mmm..." I mumbled my mind elsewhere. But, even though I tried to deny and push the thoughts out of my head, in my heart I knew that they would be harmed in some way- if everything was okay, it wouldn't be taking this long.

I carried on walking up and down the corridor, biting what was left of my nails as I did, until a nurse finally came out from one of the rooms to inform us on what was happening. Within an instant, I was next to her, waiting to find out exactly how much damage had been done. "Mr Malik?" The nurse asked me, and I simply nodded.

"Rhiannon has been severely injured, suffering damage to a lot of the bones in her body, and is now being treated on life support in intensive care. Due to the oxygen deprivation, her body went into cardiac arrest which caused a sudden cut off of blood flow and oxygen to the brain. We have performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation on Rhiannon, which she did survive, and is now in a coma. At the moment, we can't see why she wouldn't wake up, however I have to inform you to be ready for the worst. I am also extremely sorry, but she has also lost the baby due to its oxygen supply being cut off, just like the carrier, therefore not allowing the baby to breathe. I am very sorry for your loss, but we simply got there too late and there was nothing we could do. I'll leave you to grieve and you will be able to see your partner very shortly." The nurse said, before nodding her head and leaving again. As soon as she did, I felt the tears fill my eyes and spill down my face as I fell onto the floor in defeat; turning into a sobbing wreck. It felt as if nothing would ever be the same again; my whole world had been ripped apart, and this time, there was nothing anybody could do to fix it.

*An hour later*

“Zayn Malik?” A petite woman with a blonde pony tail asked, wearing a nurse’s uniform. “Here.” I said, only having just stopped crying over the loss of our daughter. The woman gave me a sympathetic look. “You’re able to see your partner now, she's currently in a stable condition, however we are not sure how long this will last.” The nurse said. I jumped up from the small hospital seat as the woman told me the room was number 201. I walked down the hospital corridor, checking the numbers quickly as I did. “197, 198, 199, 200.” I mumbled under my breath, until I came upon her door. Slowly, I pushed it open, to see somebody that I didn’t even recognise lying in the bed.

Her skin was scarcely pale, and her eyes were clasped shut. Wires and machines surrounded her, apart from the steady beeps escalating from the heart monitor; the room was filled with silence. I stared at her body; this person wasn’t my girlfriend, this wasn’t Rhiannon, she was completely different. Yet I knew that it was, and as the feeling of realization rushed over my body, it hit me just how much I had lost, and how much I could lose at any moment.

I took small steps over to her, and found her hand from underneath the white cotton blanket covering her frail body, and gripped onto it. It was cold and limp, with no sign of movement present. I held it, moving closer to her, as if the closer I moved to her, the quicker she would sense me, and awake. Once I was up by her face, I stared at her delicate eyelids, which were now closed, and rubbed circles on her hand with my thumb despite the fact she couldn't feel it, as I began to whisper to her. "Come on Rhi, I need you to wake up for me. I've already lost out daughter..." My voice cracked, however I carried on. "... I can't lose you too. You keep me going, I love you so much, I don’t know what I'll do without you. Please wake up for me darling-" My words to Rhiannon were cut short by someone at the doorway. "Mr Malik?" I shot my head up, thinking that it was a doctor, when my eyes lay on two police; a man and a woman, standing at the door of Rhiannon’s room. "What do you want?" I mumbled under my breath, preoccupied with Rhiannon and not phased by the fact they were police. "I know this is a hard time for you but we need to speak to you in connection with the accident and the allegations you made earlier of sexual harassment and abuse caused by Rhiannon’s ex partner." I nodded, signalling that I would be a second. They gave me a look of understanding as I turned to Rhiannon. "I'll be back soon; I just to need to make sure that you will be safe. I love you." I whispered, kissing her on the forehead and hesitantly leaving the small room, closing the door behind me and following the two officers into a separate room a few corridors away from Rhiannon.