- Chapter 10 -

Grian's POV
Grian was confused.

He recognized False nearly immediately, and yeah he was grateful for being saved, but what about Sam? How did she find him?

So many unanswered questions spun through his head. He hadn't said a word to her yet, being too afraid. Also, it hurt. A lot.

He hadn't realized they were out of.. wherever they'd been. The sunlight pierced his eyes, making him wince. He hadn't seen natural daylight in.. a very long time. How long had it been?

The two of them had stopped by the ocean. They had run a pretty long way, so Sam most likely wouldn't find them.

Grian watched the waves play on the sand, crashing forward and then drawing backward. The roaring sea calmed him, for some reason.

False was sitting beside him, watching him uncertainly. Grian didn't make eye contact, afraid she'd be upset for some reason.

"So.. Grian," False began. He glanced over at her.
She cast a glance back at his wings. "What're..?"

Grian froze. He'd forgotten about them- they had been so normalized by Sam to the point he forgot about the other hermits' fear of Watchers. How could he be so selfish?

He tried to hide them, summoning up the most amount of strength he could. Unfortunately, he was absolutely exhausted and it didn't work.

False gently put her hand on his knee. "Don't be afraid to talk to me, G."

Grian took in a shaky breath and nodded, "mhm.."

"Do you mind explaining your wings..?" False asked, giving him a little smile.

Grian hesitated before sighing. "I- ...please.. don't be mad."

"I won't be, I swear," False promised, her expression serious.

"Mmffgh.. I'm uh.." Grian closed his eyes. "I'm a Watcher."

False was silent. He risked a glance at her, and she looked not only scared, but also confused. Grian looked away, guilt knotting in his stomach.

"You're… a Watcher?" False tilted her head. Grian nodded, holding his breath. False hummed, shifting in her place. "Oh.. oh dear."

"I'm sorry," Grian said in a panic, beginning to ramble. "I- they forced me into training when I was a kid- and- and I know how scared you guys are of Watchers- of us- so I was scared-"

"Grian, Grian calm down," False cut him off, putting a hand on his shoulder. He looked at her with tears in his eyes. "Listen, I'm not upset. I understand."

Grian blinked, wiping his eyes. "..huh?"

"You can't help who you are," False continued. "Sure, other hermits may be terrified, but if they knew your story they wouldn't react. You're one of the funnest, sweetest hermits on here. You'd never hurt us."

Grian felt reassured by her words, but he was still worried. "But.. Sam said-"

"Don't listen to Sam," False interrupted, her expression hard. Grian swallowed, nodding slightly.
False glanced at the sky, standing up. . "We need to get back to my base, however it's becoming nighttime and mobs are spawning. Are you able to hide your wings? The other hermits might freak out."

Grian hesitated. "It'd probably be really tiring, but yeah."

False nodded. "Once we're back to my base you can let them back out."

"The others won't see me, right?" Grian made sure worriedly. He didn't want the others to see him yet. According to Sam, everybody hated him.

False shook her head, to his relief. "I won't give up your location until you're ready."

Grian nodded. "Okay.. okay." He took in a deep breath and concentrated, forcing his muscles to relax.

After a few more minutes, he felt a large amount of energy be sucked out of him and the weight of his wings disappear from his back. He let out a breath, falling to the ground.

False crouched down beside him quickly. "Oh! Are you okay?"

"Mhm.." Grian groaned. Stars were dancing in his vision, making him dizzy.

False helped him sit up. He nodded a swift thank you and clutched his head.

"WINGS!" He heard someone shout, making his heart drop. False looked up as well, eyes wide. She pulled Grian to his feet, and pulled out a shovel, quickly digging a two by two hole. He stared at her, confused.

"Get in and crouch!" False hissed. He nodded obediently, dropping into the hole and crouching down as low as he could.

He was blocked into the hole with what he assumed was sandstone. Grian found it much easier to hide now that his wings were hidden.

"Hey False," he heard Sam say, his voice muffled.

"Oh, hello Sam!" False greeted back. Grian was surprised by how good of an actor she was.

"What're you doing out here? It's nighttime, I thought you'd be at your place," Sam said smoothly. Grian shivered.

"Haha! I'm just watching the uh- sunset," False lied quickly.

"It's nighttime though," Sam pointed out in confusion.

False laughed nervously. "Yeah I kind of zoned off-! Haha! Silly me!"

Sam was silent, making Grian worried. He wouldn't hurt False, would he?

"Eh. Suit yourself. By the way, I'm missing something important. It has big purple wings and it ran off. If you see it, return it to me would ya?" Sam hummed, making Grian freeze.

"Uhh, care to elaborate?" False suggested worriedly.

Sam sighed. "Okay, I'll be straight up. I found a Watcher on the server."

False fake gasped. "A Watcher?" She echoed, genuinely sounding surprised.

"A Watcher," Sam confirmed. "Be wary, it's violent."

Grian felt his chest constrict. He was violent.

"Oh," was all False responded with. She laughed again. "You should tell Xisuma. He'll probably help track them down."

"Good idea," Sam agreed. "Thanks False."

Grian heard the sound of firerockets, which confused him for a brief moment. Either False had just ditched him or Sam somehow had an elytra.

It was silent for a few more minutes. Grian was getting restless, and nervous.

Then all the sudden the roof above him broke. To his relief, it was False looking down at him. She crouched down, helping him out of the hole and covered it back up.

"We really need to go," False said urgently. "And quick."

Authors note//
Calm before the storm.