Chapter 3

Wednesday had come a lot sooner than I would hope for. Even though I'm not as defiant about the whole 'therapy' thing I still don't like the thought of going. I lay on my bed soaking in a few more minutes of rest before I had to get ready. I glanced over towards the clock on my wall and figured I shouldn't linger on any longer. Within 30 minutes I was showered, dressed, and out the door. I jumped into my car and drove on my way to START my “new beginning.” After parking in their parking lot I headed inside.

"Good afternoon, my name is Stacy and I'm the secretary HERE at New Beginnings. How may I be of assistance?" She recited right on cue.

I chewed on the inside of my cheek, stifling a chuckle. She sounded exactly how she did on our last encounter. I cleared my throat, which was really me clearing out the suppressed laughter before supplying her question with a response.

"I'm HERE for my 2:30 appointment with Dr.Union." I replied.

She took the time to check and validate my appointment on the computer.

"Bee-on-see right?" She asked looking at my name on the screen.

"Umm Bee-yon-say." I answered slowly enunciating each syllable.

Hopefully she'll understand and remember the correct way to pronounce my name. She smiled and laughed in embarrassment.

"Sorry about that." She replied.

"It's ok, happens all the time." I assured her.

She smiled and nodded her head.

"Ok well you're a little early so you can wait in the waiting area if you want." She replied in a less robotic manner than when I first saw her.

"Sure." I said as I headed for the room.

"Oh and you should lose that mono-tone thing. It makes you seem...inhuman." I replied over my shoulder.

She smiled again.

"Thanks."

"No problem.”

I walked over to the waiting spot and took a seat. I still couldn't grasp the fact that I'm HERE, in therapy. I sighed deeply and sat back in my chair.

"This can't be my life." I mumbled to myself.

Never in a million years did I think I'd end up like this. If you were to tell me years ago that therapy was where I'd end up I would have laughed in YOUR face. Might have even given you a side-eye and directed you to the nearest shrink. It just goes to show just how unpredictable life could be. I sat there and smiled as I remembered an old memory of my mother and me when I was younger.

~*Age 10*~

"Maaaa." I called out to her.

She was in the kitchen cooking my favorite food in the whole entire world. Gumbo! My mouth watered as the scent hit my nose. I couldn't wait to GET a taste. I stared at the TV screen as I watched the opening credits come up. My mother was gonna miss it if she stayed in the kitchen.

"Mama." I called out once again hopefully GETTING her attention this time.

"What?!" She asked in the same loud manner from the kitchen.

Like mother like daughter.

"Ya gonna miss the movie." I replied.

I then heard little footsteps charging down the stairs and in walked Solange, my little 5 year old sister.

"Did I miss it?!" She asked excited and out of breath.

I fell back against the couch and laughed watching her hold her chest while her little self gasped for air. After calming down I shook my head.