Chapter 28

The first two days my parents decided to be the first two sleepover visitors when everyone else had to leave at nine. Of course. My mother wouldn't have it any other way. They said prayers over me each night. My mother had put curlers in my hair. She was a woman of appearances. She said 'just because I was in a hospital bed doesn't mean I couldn't look nice.' I loved my mom. The next two days were Kelly and Michelle. We did what we normally did everyday which was crack jokes on each other. Of course they kept bringing up me having sex in the hospital. I would just tell them how they were mad because I was getting some. That shut 'em up real quick. They also kept me updated on what was going on at work. They even brought some of my scented paints and my notepad so that I could do a little painting. The next day Solange and Juelz stayed with me. I was elated to have him. That little boy was quite the entertainment. He told me all about his days at pre-school. He colors every Wednesday and he loves story time. He says he can read some of the books all by himself. Juelz even taught me the days of the week in Spanish and French in a song that his teacher taught him. My baby was so bright. Solange I paid less attention to but only to get her mad and pay her back for almost tossing me under the bus in front of our parents.

The last two days were spent with Shawn. I was dying for his turn to spend the night because I'd miss hearing his voice every time he had to leave after visiting hours were over. We were lying in my hospital bed which was only comfortable enough for one. We were sandwiched together but I didn't mind. I loved being so close to him. I was finishing up a painting with the materials Kells left me and Shawn was marveling at the image coming to life.

"I still don't know how you do that Bey."

I only smiled and lightly grazed along the paper with my fingertips to feel the meeting points of wet and dry spaces. I sniffed it to identify what colors were there and sniffed my easel to add the other color that I wanted to blend in to the empty spaces.

"I told you how I do it." I lightly laughed.

"I know, and I'm watching happen right now... but I mean...damn, it's just, wow." He was at a loss for words.

I bit down on my lip to hold in the giddiness I was feeling. "Thank you."

I continued on with my work and asked him to be my guide. It was different hearing an outside source that can actually view it and describe it to me as I go. I've always had a mental picture of how it roughly looks, but hearing his confirmation made me see it differently. It felt more accurate. I added the last stroke of my signature in the bottom right corner.

"How does it look?"

He gently removed the painting out of my hand. "I think this is my favorite one so far."

I blushed. "Really?"

He kissed my lips. 'Really. You're amazing."

I puckered my lips again for another kiss and he obliged me. I held his face, pulling him deeper into the kiss. He pulled away and took my hand off his face to kiss my palm repeatedly. I smiled as I moved my hand up along his nose, then his forehead. I circled around to his cheeks. I felt them rise. I knew he was smiling. I traced his jawline and returned back to his lips. He kissed it again.

As the night when on he fell asleep with his arm firmly wrapped around me. My head was resting on his chest. I've never felt so secure. So loved. I rode the waves of his chest heaving in and out. Listened to his shallow breathing and his heartbeat. It was in sync with my heart monitor. I ran my hand down the length of his arm to lace our fingers. And out of reflex he gripped tighter. My heart warmed.

I couldn't sleep. I had two more days before the bandages came off. I was lying next to the person I wanted to see more than anything and my mind was buzzing. The moment was all too close but it still felt so far. Shawn shifted a little, turning onto his side. I could feel his face only inches from mine. His breath grazed my skin. I leaned forward. The tips of our noses touching. I planted my lips ever so softly on his and gave him a light peck. I pecked them again and again. I smiled at my silliness but I couldn't help it. It just amazed how even unconscious in his sleep, this man could manage to still give me chills. I pecked his lips again.