Chapter 22

"STOP LAUHING." I warned for the umpteenth time.

"I'm sorry, I'll stop...I promise." He said still chuckling.

He wasn't doing a very good job with it already.

"You have to admit that was funny though. She really came up to the table and did that?" Al asked finally calming down.

"Yes." I rubbed my face. "I was mortified."

"Yeah, I'd bet."

I was retelling the incident at the restaurant last week to Al. I was glad that I made friends with him because I had someone to share that terrifying story with. There was no way I could share it with Kelly and Michelle.

"Why'd you think she didn't rat you out?" He questioned.

That was something I was wondering myself. "I don't know."

"Maybe that was her giving you a hint."

"A hint to what?"

I knew where he was going with this. I just wanted to play ignorant.

"That maybe you need to return to therapy." He answered.

"Hmmph. I don't think so." I scoffed.

"Why not?"

"Because it's a bad idea."

"How is it a bad idea?"

"Well..."

"You know you have no excuse. So go back."

"No."

"I think you should go back." He repeated for the third time.

I was curled up in a little ball in the middle of my bed, wrapped in a quilted blanket. Ignoring his suggestion again, I busied myself with some loose threads, twirling the strand around my finger before plucking it out. I chewed my bottom lip and remained quiet.

"Beyoncé I know you hear me." Al lightly scolded through the phone.

I sighed before yanking another thread from the quilt.

"I know." I mumbled and pulled myself up into a seated position. "I just don't want to."

"Why not? You even said so yourself that it wasn't all that bad." He took pleasure in reminding me of my words a few days ago.

I could see the stupid smug on his face through the phone. A cocky and crooked smile with his head tilted up. I pushed out a long and exaggerated breath through tight lips which made him chuckle. He knew he had me.

"I know, but..." I scanned my brain for another excuse that I knew I didn't have.

"But nothing."

I flicked another piece of string across the bed while listening to him gripe about me going back to therapy. Truth be told, he was right and I didn't have any reason to not return. But I was stubborn. All I could think about is the way I ended my sessions with Gabrielle. I'm sure my storming out left a bad taste in her mouth about me. And on top of that, it's been about 2 weeks since I last stepped foot in her office. I haven't been keeping count, but I'm pretty sure I wasted the last few sessions that I did have left with her. Kelly and Michelle still don't know about that. And if things go my way, they will never know.

I rubbed my forehead still engaged in my internal conflict. It's probably best that I stayed away. That option made more sense in my head.

"It's been way too long."

I was hoping he would see the sense that I saw.

"And whose fault is that Beyoncé?"

"Mine."