Chapter 23

I had woken up in his arms. He was still sleeping. I watched him while I was trying to figure out how I felt. Al began to stir and gripped my body closer out of reflex. My face was now only inches away from his and I held my breath. Then his eyes fluttered open. He smiled softly.

"Morning." I said.

"Morning."

We stared at each other. I backed out of his arms and swung my legs over the bed. I was uncomfortable again. He stretched and sat upright.

"How'd you sleep?" He asked, yawning.

"Really well." I answered honestly.

"Good, that's means you're well rested to go see Dr. Union then."

I stopped dead in my tracks and whipped around to see him laughing. Maybe having him over was a bad idea. I spent the next hour and a half trying convince him about going another day, but he was not hearing it. He made me get dressed while he made breakfast. The man even went as far as to drive me there when we were done. He didn't trust that I would actually go when he left. Unfortunately he was right for not trusting me, though I would not admit that to him. I sat in the passenger seat annoyed. We made that right turn on Duncan St. and there the building was with the bold banner. I shook my head. No matter how many time I ran from this place, I always find myself right back. Al parked the car a couple blocks down before we exited the car. He handed me the keys and pointed to a street sign.

"Ok you see here... this is where the car is parked." He said with a snarky smile.

I rolled my eyes and snatched the keys. "You know, you need to really stop trying to be funny. It doesn't work on you." I bit my grin.

He laughed as I was walking away from him and pulled me back, hugging me from behind.

"Get off me." I mumbled.

"Aww don't be like that now." He kissed the side of my face. He held me even closer. "I'm going to take a cab home. Are you going to call me and tell me how it went?"

"Sure." I replied unwillingly.

"Excuse me miss."

I looked up. There was a white woman with short sandy brown hair standing before me. She seemed middle-aged.

"Yes?"

"I was just telling my husband over there..." She pointed behind her to a man with salt and pepper hair. He was waving embarrassed as if he couldn't believe she had approached me. "how such a beautiful couple the pair of you are." She smiled warmly.

I hadn't noticed, but Lazaro and I were in the middle of the sidewalk rocking side to side. I stiffened and slipped out from his embrace.

"Oh no...we're no-"

The woman's smile lowered.

"Thank you." Al answered politely.

Her smile brightened again and she nodded contently.

"Alright sweetheart, leave those two alone now. We must get going." The man said while taking her hand.

"Alright, alright." She shook her head. "Well anyways, take care."

Al shook each of their hands while I stood uncomfortably. The older couple left. I could overhear the woman still going on about us.

"Okay, well um, I should head over to that session now."

"Bey..."

"Bye."

I left him standing there. I sped walk down the block, arriving at New Beginnings in under five minutes.