Chapter 10

“Paranoid Schizophrenic.” Gabrielle blurted out.

Completely deep in thought, I jumped slightly when she interjected. Taking my gaze away from the ceiling, I looked to her. “Excuse me?”

“It sounds like Boris was a paranoid schizophrenic. He was going through an episode.” She informed me.

All I could do was shrug. I wasn’t sure what was up with Boris during that time, especially during that night. All I knew was that he wasn’t the same. I didn’t see the man I fell so hard for in college. I saw the devil himself. Reaching over to her desk, I grabbed another tissue to dab my eyes. Mental disorders were not something I knew much of, so I trusted her assumption.

“I guess so. I… I just don’t understand what happened.” I admitted.

“You said you noticed a change in him with his parents’ financial troubles right?” She asked looking at her notepad for affirmation.

I nodded. “Yeah I believe so. Do you think it had something to do with it?

She shrugged her shoulders and bit her pen cap. “I’m not exactly sure, but based on what you said it seemed like the stress brought on by his father losing his job could have triggered a psychotic episode.” She concluded. “But that’s just my guess.”

“Well I trust your judgment.”

She smiled and thanked me before flipping to a clean page. “Go on, I didn’t mean to interrupt you.”

Sighing I tried to think of where to begin again. To be honest, I did not want to revisit this memory anymore. Emotionally I was drained. But Gabrielle sat there waiting for me, with her pen fixed between her fingers. And with that, I began right where I left off.
~~~~~~~~~

Awake. Faintly a beeping sound could be heard. Gradually it was building. The sound was now clear. I was regaining consciousness. I wanted to sit up but I felt so weak that I just decided to lay there with my eyes closed. Sharply I inhaled. A harsh and strong smell hit my nostrils. It smelled like rubbing alcohol. It was then that I began to wonder where I was. The beeping noise. The alcohol aroma. Wherever I was, I remembered who put me here. Instantly the memory came back of Boris going mad and basically treating my head like a basketball. Remembering the look on his face sent an eerie chill up my spine and an ache in my heart. How could he do this to me? Why did he hurt me? I felt whirlwind of different emotions hit me all at once. I was hurt, confused, angry and scared. Hurt because the man I loved intentionally caused me physical harm. Confused because I didn’t know what possessed him to do such a thing. Angry because I felt so helpless in the incident; and scared because I don’t know where he is at this very moment. For all I know he could be out there tearing through the streets, still going rampant. I couldn’t quite register all I was feeling but what was most salient was the pain.

I tried to sit up but felt the immediate pounding sensation in my head. I pinched my eyes even tighter in response. Cringing, I reached up to grab it, but felt a tug at my arms.

“Ouch!” I exclaimed as I touched my inner elbow where I felt the sting, where I discovered a long tube. I pulled at it and suddenly felt a pair of hands on my shoulders pushing me back into a laying position.

“Maam, I need you to stay down please.” I heard an unfamiliar voice say to me.

For the first time since waking up, I opened my eyes to see who this person was. Nothing. I reached up to touch my eyes to make sure they were open, but those unfamiliar hands prevented me. Scrunching my eyebrows, I closed my eyes again before reopening them; only for me to get the same result—nothing. The beeping noise began to speed up. I was panicking as I snatched away from the woman and grabbed at my eyes. It was such a weird feeling. I could feel myself opening my eyes, but I couldn’t see. As if they were still closed. I rubbed them. They were very tender and caused little shooting waves of pain to hit my head. I winced and the woman restrained my hands. I began to kick and scream.