Chapter 27

I was seated in some kind of reclined chair with my feet kicked up, like a lazy boy chair. I fiddled with my fingers and silently prayed to myself that everything would be okay. I listened as the doctor was shuffling around the room. All the noises sounded scary because I didn't know what they were. There was some clattering and clanking sounds, his feet moving throughout the room, and buzzing. Suddenly my chair was raised up which caught me off guard. Dr. Orwick chuckled.

"Sorry, did I frighten you?" He asked.

I shook my head. "N-, no." I weakly laughed. "Just warn me of all sudden movements." I mused.

"Sure thing Miss. Knowles."

"Call me Beyoncé." I offered.

"Okay Beyoncé." He repeated. "Well I would explain the process of this surgery but that's a bunch of medical jargon and mumbo jumbo I'm afraid."

I chuckled. "Give me the gist doc."

"In the most basic way I can, what I'm basically going to do is make incisions into each of your eyes and place a silicon band around the sclera that will hold your retinas in place."

I scrunched my face. That didn't sound too pleasant. He laughed at my expression I presumed.

"Sounds awful huh?" He joked.

"Uh, yeah."

He rubbed my shoulder in a consoling manner. "No worries, you won't feel a thing during the procedure." He assured.

"Good!"

His shoes clonked around me and headed east. I heard him turn on a faucet and some splashing. Then a tearing noise. Some other feet entered the room. The doctor introduced the nurse to me and then instructed her to give me the anesthesia. She pried open my eyes one by one and placed something on them to keep them open. It was cold. I could tell they were some type of metal clamp-thingy. I held my breath feeling my nerves return. I already felt like Frankenstein the monster. My eyes started to burn because the draft in the room was drying them out. I wanted so badly to blink. I gripped the arms of the chair to fight the urge. And then there was some relief. The nurse had put some eye drops in them.

"Feel better." She asked.

I simply nodded my head. It soothed them a little. Moments later my eyes grew numb. If it weren't for the clamps holding my lids in places, they would have surely drooped over.

"Are your eyes numb?" Dr. Orwick asked.

"Mmhmm."

"Good. That was the anesthesia. Now since you wanted to be partially sedated I'm going to have the nurse give you a shot in your arm." He informed.

I nodded.

"Melissa can you give Beyoncé .75mg of Midazolam please?" He said to his nurse.

"Yes doctor."

My forearm was turned over, facing upward. I felt her tie a band around it tightly. The pulse in my arm sped up. She then dabbed something on my inner elbow and squeezed my arm firmly. Then there was a sharp prick and fluid entered my veins.

"So Beyoncé, tell me about you and your husband." The doctor randomly asked.

I was about to furrow my brow but the clamps made that hard to do.

"Oh he's not my husband... Shawn's my boyfriend." I corrected, though the thought of marrying Shawn made my head go light. I smiled warmly. It also could have been the medicine taking effect.

"The two of you make a handsome couple, that's for sure." He commented.

My eyes were drying again. Water was swiftly squirted into my orbs.