EON CH 28

WHO ARE YOU!

1774, SEPTEMBER 22nd THURSDAY 7:30pm.

A few hours had passed. The rain had become a torrent now. The train cabin become a dim somber blue, and most of the passengers were napping. Noche sighed as she put her exam study guide down. She laid down on the table and poked at the scar that was in the center of her left hand.

"Hey Dreg, my study guide says corruption is the most dangerous substance ever encountered." Noche said, "You are quoted as being one of the few to encounter it... Is it really so destructive?"

"In all my years of life, I've never seen something so capable of removing existence." He said, "Corruption is destruction incarnate."

"... How old are you?" Noche asked.

Dreg was still reading his book, and didn't stop to even to look at her.

"Old enough." He said.

"Over fifty?" She asked

"... Just how old do you think I am?"

Noche didn't say anything. She saw Dreg glance up for a split second, before he returned to his book. She kept poking at the scar.

"What are you doing?" Dreg said slowly.

"Trying to tell if this is a birthmark or a scar."

"It's a scar."

"How can you tell?"

"You learn these things with age."

"And that age beeeeing?"

Dreg's eyes flickered up again. He stared at Noche's grinning face.

"Not fifty." He said.

"Will... Will the exam be hard?"

"Yes."

"... Do you think I can pass?"

Dreg closed his eyes for a moment. Then reopened them as he spoke.

"I think you are a very determined individual."

Noche stopped poking the scar and stared out the window. She watched the droplets slowly glide down as the plains moved past her rapidly. She could barely make out the massive skyscraper sized statues in the distance. The Cross graveyard. Where each statue was a critical member of the Cross military.

"If I join Cross will I be able to find out about DeathTech?"

Noche's voice was a bit lower, calm, and she didn't turn her head away from the window.

"If Cross doesn't know about it, then it doesn't exist." Dreg said.

"Have you heard of DeathTech?"

"No."

"... Will I ever recover my memories?"

"Who can say?"

The train continued to glide across the tracks as the rain fell lightly on the plains nearby.

"I have amnesia... You know." Noche said, "I can barely remember some foggy images of my childhood... A dimly lit base. Other than that, nothing... The only memory I have... Is waking up in that desert..." 

Noche could feel her face become awkward. The cold sweet beading up on her forehead. She lowered her head so Dreg wouldn't see it. She didn't want anyone to see her this weak.