EON CH 54

THE WALL.

1774, SEPTEMBER 26th MONDAY 9:25pm.

            Two and a half hours later, Noche was staring at the ceiling with bloodshot eyes.

"I hate my body." She muttered.

Noche took out her cellphone and texted Cherries.

"Hey man, I'm having trouble sleeping. You up?"

"I'm in the arcade room." He texted back.

Noche got off her wobbling bed and walked into the hall. As she approached the game room she saw a dude stand in there alone. It was Varen! Her phone vibrated; a text from Cherries.

"You're welcome."

A unwavering grin appeared on Noche's face as she glared at the phone; her brow twitching.

"Tailoring bastar-"

"Yo-che!"

Noche's head snapped up.

"V-Varen! Hey! Whats up?"

Varen looked up.

"Well I'm fairly sure it's a ceiling."

Noche's eyes narrowed at him.

"Sorry! Sorry." He chuckled, "Wanna play some games with me. I'm having trouble sleeping."

"Sure." She smiled, "Don't expect to beat Alice's high scoore."

"Yeah I've given up on that." His shoulders and head slumped.

Noche grabbed the toy gun and stood at the ready. The game was on and they blazed through their foes. Noche was the first to die, but she had acquired so many extra lives that death was no longer an issue. Varen only had one, but was so skilled he survived for the longest time. Eventually the game ended as it always did; they were both dead.

"Pffft this game is stupid anyways." Varen laughed.

"Sorry bout that." Noche paused, "At least you were... Var-in the lead."

Varen put down the toy gun, slowly turned to Noche, and stared at her. Just as she opened her mouth he exploded into laughter.

"Wow I am never doing a pun again." Noche chuckled, "I feel disgusted."

"Nah, puns are the best. You're all good." He smiled, "Well... I guess I'm off to bed. Tournament and all tomorrow."

Varen hugged Noche, causing her to blush.

"Night Noche."

"N...Night Varen."

Noche had a goofy smiled as she waved at him. When he was out of sight, Noche looked around the arcade; it seemed darker. Noche scratched behind her head as the shadows seemed to dance out the corner of her eyes. Unable to stand still, Noche walked outside and stared up at the star filled night sky.

She released a sigh once she bathed in the steady light of the exterior lamps and stars. Noche raised her left hand and looked at the blemish at its center.

"How did I get you?" She thought, "Why do I have this scar?"

Noche sighed.

"I'll only find out if I pass tomorrow's tournament... I may as well practice those new moves I've been thinking of." Noche muttered, "The S.A.D. moveset."

Noche calmed down and focused. She visualized every chemical, every periodic element, and how she wanted to arrange the creation. Right hand raised into the air with the palm facing the ground. Around the cage of fingers appeared a little womanly figurine made of wind. It danced and twirled like a marionette under Noche's palm.