Chapter 21

Sonali's Pov

Christmas Eve. Not particularly different from any other day, still very different.  The whole office was decorated like crazy. The staff was brimming with energy. Everything was chirpy, inside and outside the office. I scoffed. What's so fun about Christmas ?
Do you remember? Christmas was your favourite festival.... I pushed the thought aside before it could mess with my mind.

Pamela joined me with a file in her hands as I moved towards my chamber. As I discussed things with her, our focus deep into the file, our legs moving towards my cabin, We hardly noticed the obstacles that came into our way....and I crashed ––
and landed straight into the arms of a man —

"Vicky ?!" Pamela squealed in surprise.

Vicky apologetically smiled, "Are you okay, Ma'am?" He helped me get up.

"I'm fine, thank you Vicky." Then I noticed the offensive object that dared come in my way..."A Christmas tree !? Who put that here infront of my cabin ?"
My staff knew very well that I do not like any kind of useless decorations anywhere near my cabin. Then who the hell was so daring to put a huge Christmas tree right outside my office !?

"I did", came a proud voice right from the side. Ah! of course. I should have known..

"Mr. Das ! How dare you put something in my cabin without my permission ?"

"It's not inside your cabin. How can I dare to enter Madam's cabin without her permission ? I only put the Christmas tree outside your cabin, it helps cheer up the whole mood of the office, isn't it, Pamela ?" He grinned at us.

I looked at Pamela. She glanced at me nervously and said nothing.

"Take that thing out of my office right now. I do not tolerate such things in my offic—"

"— Is that so ? But I thought otherwise, since I saw you that day —"

"— Don't !" I stopped him immediately  I knew what he was talking about and I couldn't let him, "... I mean, don't waste your time unnecessarily, everyone. Leave that thing here, it doesn't matter, as long as it doesn't come in my way. Move it aside, at least."  Phew !.. Almost ! Thankfully, covered it up on time.
"A-Are you here for something important, Vicky ?"

He looked flushed, "Yes Ma'am. I actually came to distribute the invitation cards for tomorrow's Christmas party at Mr. Nandy's house. I have handed it to Mr. Das, he'll distribute it among the staff, but this..", he took out a card from his jacket, "...was asked to be given to you personally by Sir. He has requested your presence for the occasion. He jas asked you to come for sure."

I took it from his hands. "I'll think about it. Thank you, Vicky."

I only attended Christmas parties when I first joined Nutressa. Being Robin's secretary was hard and I had to be prepared even on holidays.
After that time passed, I never attended useless parties. I prefer to spend holidays at home, in my comfort zone.

Out of curiosity, I opened the envelop and took out the invitation card. Everything was different. Usually, the party takes place in the Nandy Mansion, hosted by Robert Uncle and Madam Jennifer. But this year, the party was to be held in 'Oasis', a mansion owned by Robin in one of the Nandy's private lands. On top of that,some kind of stupid dress code theme has been put up -- red with white. I threw the card into one drawer and slammed it shut. Yeah sure, I'll go to your stupid party Robin, dressed as a Santa Claus!  I scoffed. Only stupid people attend such stupid parties.

Lunchtime was particularly excruciating. The whole office was bubbling with useless excitement. Huh! never saw them this energetic during meetings and presentations , but look at them now ! I rolled my eyes.

"When are you going to the party tomorrow Neil ?" I heard Pamela as I passed through the secretary's office.

"Probably at 8. Would you like to go with me ? You said it would be difficult for you to take a bus because of the dress and heels. I'll be bringing my bike, you can accompany me if you want. Also that way you won't need to spend a lot on cab either."

I stopped for a while, out of their sight, and listened.

"Really ? Can I come with you ? Oh Thank you so much Neil ! You don't know how worried I was. I don't even know where the mansion is, and it would've cost tons for a cab."

"Eh, don't mention. My brother and sister-in-law will be a little late to the party because of my little nephew. They'll probably take the car,so that's fine ; I was going to take the bike anyway. But won't your fiancé attend the party ?"

"He isn't invited probably..." She laughed an awkward laugh, "... only family members and employees are invited, and Jatin is neither, so.."

"Oh, is that why my family is invited, but other employees' families aren't?"

"How come you do not know ? Also, I didn't see you at last year's party either. I mean, you weren't an employee at Nutressa back then, but weren't you supposed to be attending as a family member ? After all you are the CEO's daughter's brother-in-law."

I listened closely. True, I thought. Even though Pamela has been working here for a year only, but it has been almost been 5 years of me working at Nutressa, I have never seen Neil in any of Nandys' parties, or any Nutressa events. I wondered whether he even existed before suddenly appearing here working in Nutressa. I've only heard about him before while Ruby mentioned he worked somewhere outside the state. Then again, even I seldom attend any event, except business parties, so I never really paid much thought to it. Neil told Pamela that he came back to Kolkata last year. He lived outside for more than 4 years.

Just as I was about to turn to go, suddenly I heard my name being mentioned, and my steps halted.

"Say Pam... won't Miss Bose be attending the party ?"

"She didn't attend the party last year. I've heard from others that she doesn't really like attending events like this. She only attends business parties. But, why do you ask ?"

"Nothing, was just wondering. Honestly, I only expected this from her. Rather, it would be shocking if she really showed up in such a fun party, wearing anything but black. Hah ! It would be a shame to have such a boring person in such a fun gathering. And I'm pretty sure she knows that, that's why she doesn't attend." With that, he chuckled loudly.

I felt my face burn. How dare he ! I would have dealt with him then and there if not my mind told me to stay calm and collected. Years of practice had led me to be stable in difficult situations. The old me would have beaten some manners onto him, but not this Sonali ; she would never let her emotions get the better of her.

I came back to my cabin. For a long time, I thought about the words. It infuriated me, but I've never backed down because of anybody's words. Something came into my mind with a flash -–
It would be a shame huh ? It would be shocking to have me, is that so ? Hmmm.....

How about giving them a shock of a lifetime then ?

***************

A.N : Helllllooooooo my lovely readers !! How are you all ? I hope everything's fine in your place, now that everything is slowly going back to normal. I know I've updated after a long long time.. just to let you know, I've a lot to do besides writing, and sometimes I face writer's block too. That is the reason my updates are so delayed. I hope you all would understand and be patient with me. Thank you all for supporting me !
And new readers, please press the star button after reading a chapter, it would motivate me to write further and also help me understand if people are liking my writing or not 😊 Thank you to all !