Chapter 17

Neil's pov

" Why are you even here? Yours was the last face I wanted to see today", Miss Bose marched up the garden, huffing angrily and me following close on her heels.

"I want to know the same. Why are you here ? Why are you so nice to the children, while with everyone else in the world you act like a bit–.." I stopped when she furiously looked at me.. "okay, okay I'm sorry. I'm just surprised to see you here. I find it hard to believe that you are the one who would donate for such a large cause."

"You know what, Mr. Das, you are blind, and judgemental. You only see what you want to see. You are irresponsible, arrogant, flirtatious, hedonist....and, and what not..."
She went on and on, but my world stopped right there. The way she counted my faults, she did the same...

"You said exactly like her", I heard myself tell her, "she used to do the same."

Miss Bose stopped speaking, confusion etched on her face, "She, who is this she ?"

"She worked here you know, before she left me.." I went on, pulled into my own little world.

"Ah, some ex-girlfriend. I should have known, most of the broken-hearted men either become playboys or the goody-goody boys. You, judging by what I see, have become a mix of both", She rolled her eyes.

"Pakhi..." I was kind of in a trance, I suddenly remembered everything, and my heart couldn't hold it any longer. I needed someone to listen, and my family didn't talk about her much, they remembered her, mourned her, but didn't mention her ever, at least not in front of me, as if she's kind of a taboo....
I needed to vent my heart out, and so I did....

"Pakhi... She was beautiful, you know. Very gentle, very sensitive, very kind. My exact opposite...", I smiled, then continued, "She always complained that I was insensitive, rude, and irresponsible. But she loved me nonetheless." I paused and looked at Miss Bose. She listened, stood there, curious, but listened. She wasn't bored, wasn't irritated, and for the first time, she didn't seem to mind me.

I went on, "Few days before she left me, I had a date. She wanted me to accompany her to the charity event, but I went on for the date, despite her requests...."

"Wait a minute, you were cheating on her ?", Miss Bose stared at me in horror.

"What?" I stared back, confused.

"This girl, Pakhi, your girlfriend, you- you were cheating on her..." She was horrified and disgusted.

"No, no, no... Don't you see, Pakhi wasn't my girlfriend. You got it all wrong..... She was...she was my twin sister !"

"WHAT !! You and Akash had a sister ?!" She was shocked...

                   ~~~~~~~~~~~

(To be continued)...