Chapter 14

Neil's pov

I only realised I had a major crush on Pamela when she leaned on my shoulder, sobbing and narrating everything that happened at the party on the previous day. I hugged her tight and consoled her. I was angry first, then relieved, and amazed by the two women who were now an inevitable part of my life. One got on my nerves, and the other got my heart set on her.

I started doing things that Pam liked. I really believed that I could easily impress her; she was easy to impress anyway, and also I was good with the ladies. I started with stylish, fashionable clothes. Pamela was a beautiful woman, and she loved fashion.

I sleeked back my hair, trimmed my facial hair into a light stubble, put on a white shirt and black pant, all of those being brand new, with no ties on, and the first two buttons kept open. At the last I put on a brand new watch that had cost me Rs.2000, and black shoes which were worth Rs.4000. I decided to take out the car, even though I hated borrowing anything belonging to my father.

When I stepped into the office with my new smart-businessman look, almost all the girls swooned at me. Few of them ogled shamelessly, few deliberately threw themselves on me, clinging and flirting, and some gave shy looks when I caught them talking about me. Even Miss Bose stopped on her tracks when she caught sight of me, her coffee mug stilled in her hand and her phone on her ear.

The only difference was that she stared at me with curiosity and suspicion rather than the teenage-crush kind of look every other girl was sporting today. Well, any exception on her part would have surprised me, not this reaction.

Finally, when Pamela spotted me, her reaction was priceless. She beamed while she came over to me and gently squeezed my hand. My breath left me at her touch. She whispered in my ear, "You look even more handsome today than you are Neil. All the ladies in the office are talking about you. What is the secret of the transformation, may I know? For whom are you so nicely dressed up today, huh ?" She wiggled her eyebrows.

This was what I was waiting for. Time for confession. I started, "What if I say all of this is for y..." I couldn't finish, because in a flash of a second someone slammed into me and a cup of hot coffee splashed all over my body. I hissed out and stifled a curse when I realised that the Engine without Brake was actually Miss Bose. Pamela gasped and she extended one hand to Miss Bose to pull her away and another hand to clean the mess from my new shirt.

"Oh, I'm so sorry Mr. Das, so very sorry, I was busy on my phone and didn't see you standing here and....I'm really sorry. Thank God the coffee wasn't burning hot..." Miss Bose almost looked apologetic. Key word being "almost". I didn't believe a single word of this conniving woman, I was sure she did it on purpose. I didn't reply anything and she continued, "You can go home or change your clothes here, but I would recommend you to wash yourself, the stickiness of the coffee will remain otherwise. You can hand over the clothes, I'll get them cleansed", her words were sweet, her eyes were not, "after all, they got stained because of me, didn't they."

Well, let's just say the clothes got cleansed later, but the dampened mood didn't. My plan failed miserably.

But I was not the one to give up so easily. And so I tried different methods to impress Pamela and confess my feelings to her. But every time, every time Miss Bose did something or the other, and all my hard work went into drain. I tried to take Pam to lunch, since she was a foodie, but Miss Bose arrived at the scene and called Pamela to her room and made her work all afternoon. Once I decided to take the day off and somehow convinced Pamela to do the same, not revealing my plans to surprise her, but Miss Bose did not approve my leave, and I had to go to work that day. Not only did my plan failed, but I also got scolded by Pam for making her take an unnecessary day-off for no reason at all.

But the last and final blow I received defeated me entirely and I bent down my knees (no,not literally) at last.

It was the day I finally decided that enough is enough. Pamela was not there yet, and I started murmuring motivations to myself, "I have to do something about this today itself. I won't let Miss Bose stop me today. I will ask Pam out today and confess to her about my feelings. I will directly ask her out on a date, if she agrees at least I will come to know how she feels about me.... yes, this is the only way. I can do it, and I will do it."

Before Pamela arrived, Miss Bose called me in to her chamber and kept me busy until the lunch time.

When the work was finally done, I sighed in relief. At last I can carry out my plan now. I happily left from Miss Bose's room and sprinted towards the secretary's cabin. Just when I was ready to push the door and say something to Pamela, a rich, masculine voice came from my back, "Pam,my dear! Hello!". Both Pam and I looked back in surprise, but our reactions were different. Pamela squealed in surprise and delight, and I looked on in confusion at the fine man in front of me. He was a tall man, with fair face, chiselled jaw, classy yet rich suit worn on a perfect body. I wondered if this man has come out of a fashion magazine or something... Real people can't be so perfect, can they ?

Before I could react any further, Pamela rushed past me and jumped into the arms of the magazine model. I gaped, shocked to the core. Who is this guy? Is he her boyfriend? Why hasn't she mentioned him to me before? Hundreds of questions ran into my head but I didn't utter a word. I just stood there like a statue while the perfect man embraced the perfect woman in a perfect manner.

When they pulled away, Pamela was grinning ear to ear, "What are you doing here ? Didn't you have work to do?"
The Magazine Cut-out too was smiling broadly, "I left early today, just for you darling! I felt I should provide more time to you, my dear."
I had no doubts left by then that this man was Pam's boyfriend. But still a part of me wished otherwise....

My wish got rejected rudely. Miss Bose arrived at that perfect moment, "Of course Pamela, I told Jatin about how you were working so hard for the past few days, and also that you are quite stressed out. You should go out and have fun...",the next words she said broke my heart into tiny little pieces,"....after all, he is your to-be-husband, you should spend some time together." She looked at me and gave an evil smile. Pamela was genuinely surprised that Miss Bose did something so nice for her, but she seemed happy. She introduced me to Jatin, oblivious of my broken heart. Jatin shook hands with me enthusiastically, and almost broke my hand in the process. That man has got a really strong hold.

Pamela took leave of us and went out with the Magazine Cut-out, Jatin, leaving me behind with my little broken pieces of heart. I kept on staring towards the direction from where they left, despair written all over my face, when Miss Bose spoke up, "From the next time, Mr. Das, check for the ring finger of a girl before approaching her. I won't always be there to save you from embarrassment and loss of a good friend." She laughed a mocking laugh and turned to go, "Oh, and also remember to close the door while planning a love confession from the next time, okay ?" She laughed at my sorry state and left.

A.N : Hello guys! I know it's been a longgggg time since I last updated, but a lot of mishaps were preventing me from writing further. I'm really sorry for the delay, but I promise I'll try to provide next updates as soon as possible. Thank you for your love and support, and keep motivating me by voting and commenting on the chapters. Thank you!